Chapter 1: Soul Crushing

I, Val Larson, hate love.

Don't get me wrong, romance novels are great, and I'm sure being in a relationship is too, I just... don't see the allure.

What's so inviting about falling in love with a stranger, who will, throughout your relationship, become a stranger no more, just to risk the possibility of falling in love, though the likely outcome will be having your heart broken.

Some people risk it all, and put everything on the line for love.

But most love stories never work out.

Titanic. The Notebook. Even La La Land. All of them "found love" just to have it ripped out from under them. It's a no for me.

So instead, I focus on my career. If you can even call it that.

Sure I make money, every once in a while, but it's been three months since my last job, and my hope is dwindling. Who wants to hire a college dropout who decided to pursue her dream as a special effects makeup artist at age 20. I certainly wouldn't.

Apart from my lack of professional experience and social skills, I live paycheck to paycheck.

Quite a catch right?

So, that's why I'm here, at a prospective job offer, getting ready to show my skills. I just really hope I don't mess up.

"Val Larson?" A worker calls out looking up from a clipboard, making me jump as I snap out of my internal monologue.

"That's me," I say standing up and grabbing my bag from the blue chair I was sitting on.

"Come with me please,"

I follow the nice lady, glad to be leaving the stifling air of the waiting room. She leads me into a white, nicely lit room, with a table, and two small sofas opposing it. Behind the desk sits an old woman, probably nearing her 60s.

She's stunning.

Even at her presumable age, her dark skin shines beautifully in this mediocre light, a type of light that can usually make even the top models look washed out.

Her curly hair resting down to her shoulders, her fingers adorned with small rings bearing red and orange gems, to match her brightly colored suit, make her look like a vibrant statue.

Her head turns to us as we walk in, and she gestures for me to sit down on the sofa to the right. I quickly do so, and look up at her in awe.

This close up she's even more beautiful, the sparkling rings on her fingers making her eyes pop.

"So, Val, you have a very impressive portfolio," She begins, motioning toward the images on her desk. I recognize one of the photos as the makeup I did for my friend, for her halloween costume.

**TW this image might disturb some people, this is the costume she did**