Chapter 31| Awakening

Start from the beginning

I groaned involuntarily and dragged a hand across my face.

I doubted that I could, but surely he'd understand? My little brother would have to finally accept me.

I'd made it to Ian and his father's door in a haze and quickly shook my head to clear it. My hand raised to knock on the door when a sound made me freeze.

Crying.

"I just want you to be normal." A gruff voice said, muffled by the door.

"I am normal. It's not my fault I was born like this." Ian snapped, thick with emotion, and the door flew open, smacking me in the face. I stumbled back with a curse.

"Julius? Sorry." Ian said and I barely caught sight of his distraught, tear-stained face before he shoveled passed me and bolted down the hall. I watched him go, clutching my bloody nose, and scowled at his father before running after him.

He made it out of the house in record time and maybe it was due to the fact that my nose was still bleeding, but I was feeling lightheaded.

"Ian! Ian wait!" I howled as I ran after him and he soon shifted and took off even faster.

I growled and grabbed his clothes before I shifted as well, which then made me drop the clothes. I huffed and gripped our clothes in my jaws and raced to catch up. I was just a foot or so behind them when I leapt and landed on top, the both of us coming to a stumbling stop.

"Shit. Why'd you tackle me?" Ember growled as she was pinned under me. Yes—she—Ian's wolf Ember's true form was a female.

Her golden eyes stared into mine and I huffed and nuzzled the side of her snout. I dropped the clothes from my mouth and they landed on the ground with a soft thud.

"I'm sorry Ian—Ember, why'd you take over?" I said getting off and sitting back. The ebony-black she-wolf with yellow-orange speckles around her eyes, down her back and glittering her paws stood.

"Why shouldn't I have taken over? Our dad's being an asshole—no surprise—and Ian's sad. It isn't our fault we're different sexes." She snapped. I glanced at her and let out a breath.

"I understand—"

"No you don't! You have no idea what this is like! I can't help that I'm not a male! And he blames me, saying I made Ian gay! I am Ian! I'm Ian too! I may be female, but I'm his son too! I didn't ask to be like this!" Ember snarled and my ears laid back.

"I know you're angry... but don't yell at me when I'm trying to help you." I said calmly and she wrinkled her snout before spinning away from me and stalking away a few paces.

"You're so annoying." She grumbled.

"I sure am." I said with a wolfish grin and padded up to sit beside her. She gave me a look of contempt before plopping down and leaning against me.

"... I didn't mean that. You are annoying, but not in a bad way." She said after a beat and I nodded.

"Alrighty then." I huffed and stared out at nothing in particular. Something felt off and I sniffed at the breeze.

"Hey. Let's go back home." I said standing and shifting back. I quickly put on my clothes and Ember shifted as well leaving me to toss Ian his clothes. He dressed himself as I looked away.