Chapter 22.

SHALEWA

It's thirty weeks and the third trimester since I have been pregnant. It hasn't been easy. I am showing and one needs no extra information to ascertain my pregnancy.

The girls are hosting a baby shower for me tonight and I'm getting prepared. Of a truth, I am actually excited and really looking forward to it.

"Are you sure I shouldn't come to Abuja, Iwo omoyi (you this child)?" My mum asks. This woman wants to be babying me when I'm expecting a baby. I chuckle, groaning a little as I adjust myself on the chair.

"Mummy o. No." I roll my eyes. Thank God she can't see me.

"Okay o. Small small o. Your due date is soon." That's still like a month and one week from now.

"Mummy, it's not like I'll go into labour now. I still have small time." I state.

"Small time that will fly before your eyes." I can literally picture her facial expression as she says this. Eyes squinting with protruded lips pushed upwards. Mummy and her drama. It's why I enjoy teasing her so much.

"I know. Mummy, don't worry. I'll be fine." Even though I know I won't and it will be difficult, I have a tight-lipped smile on my face. I need to keep reminding myself that she can't see me.

"Okay, my dear. Take care o." She ends the call and I continue scrolling on my screen. My hand mistakenly diverts to my contact list and I see Amadi's name. I roll my eyes, minimize the phone tab and close it.

Thr biggest irony of it all is the fact that we have never spoken on phone before. The day we exchanged contacts was the day the incident leading to my pregnancy occured. In simpler terms, the day we had sex.

My thoughts drift back to when I broke the news of my pregnancy to my family. Deji was actually furious.

"Wait a minute. My wife knew and she didn't tell me?" Deji's voice rose a tone higher as he looked between me and Uwa. Me on the screen, Uwa in person.

I didn't want to be the cause of any feud or bad blood between them. As it was, they were couple goals and I adored them. I quickly cut in.

"No. She really wanted to say something. I made her promise not to." I said with pleading eyes. At the other end, Uwa's palm rubbed his arms to soothe him.

"Okay. So, where's the father?" Dad was the one to talk.

"Yes. Where's the father?" Deji asked. Ptotective men in my life.

"Well..." I played with my fingers. At that point,  it felt like I was on a crossroad, trying to make a hasty decision. Do I go to the other side or do I stay put in my location and navigate all through at my convenience?

I didn't want to take the easy way out. Look where it got me. So, I cleared my throat, adjusted my shoulders and decided to face it head on.

"There's something I have to tell you all before that." Although I was not comforable with what I wanted to share, I was tired of the secret. I was not in my right frame of mind at that time I did it.

"Remember when Timi died, I was emotionally traumatised as a result of it. So I took a rash decision." I paused to take in a deep breath, watching their faces.

"I am really sorry, Mom, Dad. Deji and Uwa, please forgive me."

"I was pregnant." Silence filled the air as I watched their eyes pop up in surprise.

"So, let's get what you just said. You were pregnant?" Mom asked and I nodded in affirmation.

"What about the baby?" That's where the story is. Hmmm.