Chapter 7.

SHALEWA

"I'll be there soon."

"Alright, ma'am." Shirley, my assistant texts back in response.

Well, today is the day I finally make myself known in the office.

As I prepare to leave the house, the door bell rings, signalling a visitor. Who could that be? Asides the girls who came here to pick me up for our outing, no other person, apart from my immediate family who are in Lagos, has this address.

I hasten up and walk down the flight of stairs before looking through the peephole at the person behind the door.

The Neighbour. Strange.

"Hi." He smiles, one that I want to wipe off his face.

"Hello. You want anything?" I ask, my voice and stance laced with attitude. Eyebrows raised and arms crossed, I give him a stern look.

"Can we talk, please?" He asks.

"No." I am still really pissed at what happened. Plus, I have to be at work.

"Please." He pleads.

"Alright, but that would be later in the evening, say 7pm. I have to be at work." I say, giving him the stink eye.

"Thank you." He gives a small smile.

"Ehnn. You're welcome." He's still standing there after my tone of dismissal.

"Anything else, Mr. Amadi?" Raising my eyebrows for the second time since he came, I enquire.

"No." He responds, scratching the back of his head, clearly uncomfortable.

"Alright. Bye, then." Not caring to hear a word from him, I walk back into my house and lock the door behind me.

To be honest, it took all my restraint to not slap that idiot woman back. They should sort their family problems and never transfer aggression to me.

Had it been Kaima did not insist on me not leaving, I wouldn't have even followed them. What even prompted me to stop at the car's honking in the first place? I should have just ignored.

I was both shocked and angry when she slapped me. It happened in a flash. My brain cannot register till this moment, why the woman did that.

Taking out a pack of fried rice from the fridge and turning on the microwave oven, I began heating up the food.

While waiting, I quickly set a reminder for my therapy appointment by Wednesday.

The ding sound indicates the readiness of my food and I slowly eat, before heading to the hotel.

My dad sure has alot of establishment and this hotel is one of them. I'm so proud of the man for laying a foundation of good leadership for we his children.

He made me the Hotel Director when I was to relocate here for two reasons. Firstly, so I am not idle and channel my energy into something productive. Secondly, the hotel has always been ran by a manager who reports to him. This time, he wanted me to fully be in charge. Since Deji has his own establishment, he decided to push this one to me.

"Good morning, ma. Welcome to Wilsons. How may I be of help to you?" The receptionist gives me her best smile. Dad named this establishment with his English name. Just as I am about to respond, a voice interrupts.

"What else will this slut be here for? If not to see one of her sugar daddies?" As if being a jealous wife is not enough, she has chosen to also be stupid.

"Excuse me?" I ask in shock.

"Ehen? Am I lying?" The unmistakable accusation in her tone drives me on edge. Wait till she gets the shocker of her life.