Chapter 21.

SHALEWA

"Give me my car keys." I scream.

"Just shut up, already." He says back to me.

"Amadi, I said, give me my car keys!" I lay emphasis on every word uttered. I am this close, very very close to doing something drastic.

"Here it is, you mad woman." He flings it on the floor in front of me. I bend to pick it up and I see his gaze on my cleavage when I'm back in a standing position.

Fucking pervert!

"I have only told you a way out and you're screaming like you've lost your senses." This man still has the temerity to spew trash.

"You are a selfish bastard! You want me to give up my child, my own child. You want me to give my child to you! You must be sick. Amadi, you hear me, something is wrong with you upstairs!" I storm out of his presence, seething with anger, only to feel his hand stopping me.

I turn back and swat his hand off me.

"If you ever in your life touch me again, I will file a police report against you." I give him an icy glare and slam the door behind me when I'm out.

The tears threaten to fall but I hold them in. It's not every time that I'll cry for this. I remind myself on the constant need to be strong.

Matching towards my car, I get in and take a moment to breath. My hand goes to massage my head from the severe headache I presently feel. When I'm sure that my mood has lightened up a little, I drive home with a sole purpose in mind.

"Hello." Uwa answers on the other side of the call.

"Good evening, sis." I say to her.

"Shally, how far? How are you?" She asks.

"I'm not fine o." I answer genuinely.

"Hmmm... what's the matter?" The way Uwa shows concern is on a whole different level. She's too good.

"I made a mistake." I state, biting my fingers.

"What happened? You're scaring me."

"I am pregnant." I finally drop the bomb.

"By no means is a child a mistake. It's a blessing. So, calm down. Who is the father?" I smile.

Sorry, baby. You're not a mistake. Forgive me.

"Some guy I met here." I brush it off.

"Does my husband know?" She asks.

"No, he doesn't." I answer.

"Hmmm.. okay. Breathe." Unconsciously, I find myself doing just that.

"So, what do you want to do and how far gone are you?"

"Seven weeks and I'm keeping it." I smile when I say that. I know she can't see me but I hear her heave a sigh of relief on her own end.

"Seven weeks. That means you were already pregnant when you came here." The realization dawns on her.

"Yes but I did not even know."

"Does the father know about your pregnancy?" She asks.

"Yeah, unfortunately."

"Ahn ahn. Why 'unfortunately'?"

"Omoh. Sis, it's complicated o. We're not on good terms now." I shrug.

"Some guy you met there." She repeats what I said earlier. "Wait...Is it the man you told me about? The one with the kid?" 

"Yes." I state and hear her sigh.

Here we go.

AMADI

"What?" I ask Miriam who is looking at me with judgemental eyes.

"Nothing." She shrugs and resumes the food she's cooking.

"Just spill, biko. This one you're dissecting me with your eyes." She lets out a loud laugh, clapping her hands like a market woman before placing them on her waist.

"It's your guilty conscience that is eating you up, that's why you are bugging me. Amadi, you no dey try o. You know I overheard alot." I hiss at what she says.

"How I no dey try?" I ask with raised brows, shrugging ny shoulders.

"Let me tell you something, Amadi. She had a reason for aborting that child and you, Amadi, has to talk to her about it. That woman is now carrying your child. Don't push her to the wall. Do you want to lose the chance to have a relationship with your child? Like the one you have with Kaima. Just think and get your senses back."

"Abeg, don't annoy me." I state, already getting angry. It is annoying that she is picking sides with Shalewa.

"You're just getting defensive, Amadi. Anyways, you were wrong to suggest that. Accept it or not, it's totally up to you." She clicks her tongue and turns away.

"Whatever!" I walk out of the kitchen, angry.

"Whatever!" I hear her say behind. Well, Miriam will not be Miriam if she doesn't reply.

•••••

"Everything is just messed up. She wants to abort my child like she did to her other child." I still can't beliebe the sweet Shalewa I knew could be so callous.

"Are you sure?" He asks me, taking a drag of his cigarillo.

"I mean, what else was she doing in the hospital?" Emeka hits his head, sighing deeply

"For someone that runs a large investment, Amadi. You just blurted out the most foolish thing, my friend." He says and I felt offended.

"Ante-natal. What happened to that?" He asks.

"I know of ante-natal, you dumbo." I roll my eyes in annoyance.

"You have her picture?" He asks.

"Yeah. Sure. This is Shalewa." I toss my phone over to him. I still haven't deleted the pictures I took on that day we went on a date.

"Hmmmm... This face looks very familiar." His hand rubs his stubbles as he continues staring at the picture. Familar kwa?

"Ahh. I remember now. Some months back she came to the club with her friends. Ahh. Caleb would be so heartbroken." He laughs, making jest of his brother.

"Why?"

"He had his eyes all over her. Like he could devour her at any given opportunity." For some reason I didn't like Shalewa being spoken about in such manner. Caleb has his eyes on Shalewa. Damn! Emeka's brother that has his way with words. Words that charm women to do his bidding. I know Shalewa isn't like that but still, he had his eyes on her!

Hissing, I snatch the phone from him.

"Well, he can't have her anymore." I try to play cool but the tight grip on my phone gives it away.

"Don't break the device. It is not the cause of your mysery." Emeka laughs.

"Is it funny?" I glare at him.

"Yes it is, my dear friend." He signals to one of his staff. "As long as you're not married to her and not in a relationship, he can still pursue her, child or not."

He turns to face the staff who just arrived at where we are sitting and I glare at him, hard!