Chapter 2.

SHALEWA

The sun is the first thing that welcomes me the moment I step down from the plane at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport. Walking through the Arrivals entry, I patiently wait for my box. Once I see the wine-colored box, I immediately reach for it and walk out of the airport.

The Uber I booked while waiting is already outside, so the app says. As if on cue, my phone starts to ring, on display is the number matching that of the driver.

"Hello."

"Hello, ma. I am here already."

"Alright. Blue Corolla Camry, right? I think I can see you."

"Please, turn up the AC." I instruct him once I am fully settled in.

"Yes, ma." Moments later, I feel the AC stabilizing to the perfect temperature I wanted.

"Here, ma'am." He hands me a little plastic plate with some sweets in it. Smiling lightly, I collect it, mumbling a 'thank you' to him.

In the process of reversing, he mistakenly hits another car behind him. Shit! This incident will definitely cause delay for us today.

To my surprise, he just raises his hand and waves an apology to him. The person whose car he hit just nods his head in understanding and my driver drives out of the car park.

What? Wait, did I just see right? Nothing happened, no scene was created, just a wave of his hand. He did not even apologize verbally.

Wow! Abuja is quite different. I trust my Lagos people. They can cause traffic jam because of this. I recall an incident when I was passing through Lekki Toll gate one faithful afternoon.
The woman's car got hit by another driver; a man. In her labcoat, she got down and started raining insults on him. Passersby were pleading with her but she insisted he fixes her car.

In Lagos, it is always like they are looking for who to pick a fight with. So my surprise is very justified. I pop another Alpenliebe sweet into my mouth and pick two more before passing the plate back to the driver, thanking him once more.

Chike's 'Roju' filled the air, immediately making my mood sour. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy and his type of music. This song just makes me sad, the lyrics.

Finally, we arrive at the estate where I would be staying. It's been long since I came to this place. More than ten years as I was way younger by that time. We had come for a family end of year getaway trip.

When dad told me I was to move to Abuja and stay here, the little child in me was excited as I enjoyed my experience here; it was a delightful moment. He also insisted on how I need a change of environment. Of a truth, I had no say in this, considering my suicide attempt two months ago.

I showed my ID to the security personnel who let the car in after the security check and registration. Dad already called the estate management to let me in when I arrive. It's our estate, by the way.

At 12:36pm, I was finally settled in the apartment. The househelp whose name I got to know is Nadira already helped prepare Jollof Rice and fried fish for lunch. After eating and taking my drugs, I decided to call home to inform them of my arrival.

"Shalewa mi. How was your journey, my dear?" Daddy's voice booms over the phone speaker.

"Fine, daddy. I am tired." The yawn that escapes from my mouth is an evidence of it.

"Pele, dear. I am glad you have arrived. Hope the house is in good shape?" He asks me.

"Yes, daddy. It is. Is mummy there?"

"Shallwally, I am here o. When you finish talking to your father, call me too." My mom has always been amusing.

"Ah, mummy. E kaasan (good afternoon) ma."

"You called your father first, leave me alone. Keep your e kaasan o." I could hear the tiny snicker in her voice. She is obviously joking and in the brink of laughter.

"Mummy ehn."

"That's your mother for you, my dear. Rest, we'll speak later." My dad says.

"Don't forget your drugs, Shalewa mi!" Mum shouts.

"Yes, mummy. Bye, daddy. Bye, mummy." After that, I call Deji. We talk for a while, before I finally sleep.

•••••

"Good morning, Madam Shalewa." Nadira smiles, whilst greeting me, exposing her gap tooth.

"Nadira, how are you?"

"I am fine, ma." She answers.

"Ehen. Don't you go to school? Your use of English is very good." Clad in a pair of joggers and a crop top, I flip through my novel, Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, also sipping the coffee I asked her to prepare for me.

"Yes, but I have no money to pay my fees now."

"Ah, what about your salary?" She looks down at her fingers, playing with them. In her simple abayah, Nadira is a beauty!

"Mama and my siblings have to eat. She is old. Very old and cannot work. So I basically do everything."

"And your dad?" She flinches like I hit a soft spot.

"Baba is dead." Her voice comes out low and sad. I felt bad immediately. I perfectly understand the death of a loved one. I am still going through the aftermath.

"What school do you attend?" I ask, quickly changing the angle our talk was leaning to, in a bid to lift her mood.

"University of Abuja." She answers.

"I'll pay your fees henceforth. You'll go back to school and just come during weekends. I can take care of myself, don't worry about that."

"Ah! Thank you, madam." The joy on her face is enough, coupled with the joyful dance.

"It's alright, dear." I just hate to see potentials go to waste.  Nadira, as I have observed this one week I have stayed here, is very smart.

The sound of a van outside interrupts our discussion.

"The people moving into the estate have arrived already?" She peeps through the window and nods a Yes to  me.

"Alright. Since they stay just two houses away, let me go and say hi to them. Abeg, bring my ash shirt for me."

"Hello." I smile to the little beauty in front of me.

"Heyooo." She responds in her baby-like voice. I look above her to see a man giving out instructions to the movers.

The little girl stretches her hands and places them in mine. Why will this man allow his daughter to wander off like that? Well, the estate is secure but still, it's not advisable to let your child wander, except he's secretely keeping an eye on her, which I confirm as his gaze immediately switches to us the moment she placed her hands in mine. Leaving the movers, he began walking in our direction. I do the same and we meet halfway.

"Hi. Thank you. She's a handful sometimes. I am Amadi." He offers me a small smile which I reciprocate before introducing myself.

"Shalewa."

"And I am Nnenna, who happens to be the mother of this angel, Kaima." We are interrupted by another voice. Where did she come from?

"I.." amadi tries to speak as Kaima is taken off his hands by his wife who walks in with her. She glares at me before leaving. Just like that.

"Just said to welcome you guys. Enjoy the estate. Bye." I turn around and leave.

Peruzzi's 'I no want wahala o' rings through my head and I chuckle before getting into my apartment.