Chapter 1

On a side note before this starts, I'm currently doing a Heathers run with my friends and someone is leaving me sweet little notes in my locker at the theater. It's really sweet and I don't know who. So that's where I got the idea!

⚠️suicidal thoughts/behavior⚠️
⚠️homophobic slurs⚠️
⚠️derogatory remarks⚠️
October 22nd, 1988
Heather Chandlers POV
"Did you get any today?" Mac asks as we walk down the hall.
Not sure. Haven't been to a class or my locker today. I respond with a tired and annoyed sigh.
Veronica keeps quiet throughout this conversation.

We get to my locker and I open it. At the top slits, there's another slip of paper. I unfold it and read.

"The sun shines when you open your eyes.
The world turns when you smile
Every rule you break is what makes living worth the while."

My heart is melting. This is so sweet. I really want to figure out who this guy is.

We walk to lunch so that people know we still rule this bitch. We sit down and I groan before speaking again.

Ugh this is cute. And I never call anything cute. I HAVE to figure out who this guy is. I watch as JD approaches Veronica. I hate that they are together. This boy is bad. She doesn't need to be dating the bad boys. Leave that to me. He's going to break her heart. And when he does, I'll be stuck dealing with it.

What Jesse James? I ask.

"Just coming to say hello to my girlfriend." He smiles at Veronica. She gives an uncomfortable smile before kissing him which also seemed uncomfortable for her.

"Anyways, seems you only get them between 4th and 5th period." Mac points out.

I swear if it's one of you guys fucking with me. I chuckle.

"Can't be. We all have the same class. All but Veronica...who's taking creative writing." Duke looks at Veronica whos...staring? At me?

"Hey. Earth to Veronica" Mac waves her hand in front of her face. Nothing.

"Hey, dyke" Duke mumbles.

"I'm not a dyke. And it's not me. Heather would kill me. Why would I risk my life-?"

"It's just a joke. You can go back to staring at heather now. Weirdo" Duke laughs.

I've gotta find a way to figure out who it is. I say.

Eventually I just head to my next class. 4th period. I have a plan. I'm going to wait by the bathrooms to see who's putting this shit in my locker. As I was waiting I overhear somebody talking to someone.

"Hand me the paper!"

"No way. YOULL tell her."

"Just give it to me"

"FINE" the voices stop for a moment. I'm assuming the other person is reading the paper.

"This is fucking disgusting. You should be so ashamed of yourself. You don't deserve to live. You're just wasting space here by being like this. Just kill yourself." The voice says. Then it's silent. Fleming comes in and tells me to go back to class. This sucks.

Veronica's POV.
I had nearly gotten caught during lunch. Luckily, I didn't. I sneak off early and write another little paper. JD is helping me cover up. But...he loves me...

My heart is cold. Purple. Blue.
But your fiery red glow melts it.

I get stopped in the hall by Courtney. One of the rich kids. She freaks out on me and forces me to give her the paper all for her to tel me to kill myself. It's not the first time someone has told me to do it. My own family has said it to me a few times. Mainly just my brother. But still. It hurts.

I slip the note in her locker and go about my day. I watch as she reads it. She lets her back fall into the wall and holds it to her heart. I've never seen her smile like that. Then she looks at me. I panic. But she just smiles. Does she know? Maybe I should tell her! I think to myself but soon the negative thoughts overpower those that are positive.

"Just kill yourself."
"You should be ashamed of yourself"
"Your the reason dad left"
I can't take it. Just then, someone runs into me.
"Watch it, slut" I back into a shorter boy.
"OUCH"
SORRY! Are you okay?
"Get away nerd!" I try to run but run straight into Kurt kelly. I expected him to be a dick but instead, he just guides me through the crowd. He's tall. And has light brown curly hair. Like a mop on the top of his head. He helps me to my bike. I speed off after thanking him. I ride my bike in the opposite direction of my house. I ride to a bridge. Mill creek. There's tons of traffic just rushing beneath me.

As I get off my bike, a copy of a different poem falls out of my bag. I leave it and walk over to the edge of the bridge. I ponder for a moment before climbing over the railing and standing there. I must've stood there for a while because a voice pulls me to reality.

Heather Chandlers POV
I try to follow after Veronica. She seemed down. This note put me in a good mood. I felt like being nice. But I didn't catch up with her until she was already on her bike. I drive to her house but she wasn't there so I give up and drive home. As I cross the bridge to my neighborhood, I see a familiar shape standing on the edge. VERONICA! I quickly stop my car and slowly approach her bike. She doesn't know I'm there. That's when I look down and see a sheet of paper. The handwriting is familiar but I can't pin point where I've seen it before.

Veronica. It's heather. Please just come back on the other side. I shout over the wind. She flinches at my voice.

"I can't. They're right heather. I'm just wasting space. Nobody wants me." She cries. I watch as she lets go with one of her hands letting herself lean over the edge.

What do you mean? Who said that about you? I ask getting a little closer.

"If you knew something about me, you wouldn't want me around either, heather. You're just as superficial as everyone else there." She says.

Ouch. That hurt. But she's not wrong.

What about you? I ask. I get a little closer. Slowly and calmly, I reach out for the hand closest to me. I set mine on top of it. She moves but I ensure her that I'm not going to hurt her.

"I'm not like the others, Heather. Everyone has nice clothes. Nice hair. Nice makeup. Nice friends. Boyfriends." She starts.

Veronica, you have Jason. Sure you haven't gone out officially but you might have a boyfriend soon. I explain.

"No, Heather. I don't WANT a boyfriend." She cries.

Oh...I get it. I say.

"I don't think you do. If you really got it, you wouldn't be here. Neither would I."

"Heather, my heart is dark and empty. As blue as this sweatshirt." She starts and then It all clicks in my head just. The handwriting I just saw. the notes. Her being weird. Her staring at me. Her freaking out when I looked at her. She was the girl in the hall. She's the one who's been giving me all this stuff. This is why she's avoided me for 3 months. I do the only thing I can think of. I have to let her know that I know.

Veronica...people like you. I plead softly.

"No."

Veronica! Come over. Let me convince you. If it doesn't work then fine. You can come back. If that's really what you want. I say. I expected her to say no...but she gets back on the other side and walks over to me. She gets in my car and we drive. It's silent other than a few sniffles from her.