Ch 44: Professor Umbitch

I sat next to Susan at the Hufflepuff table. I looked down the table to see Amelia sitting alone. On the train ride here she hadn't spoken much to me. In fact she had left the compartment along with George. It was as if my presence annoyed her.

Susan nudged me as Dumbledore began speaking.

"Good evening children. Now we have two changes in our staffing this year. Professor Hagrid is on temporally leave as Professor Grubbly-Plank will be taking his spot. We also wish to welcome our new defense against the dark arts teacher Professor Dolores Umbridge" he said.

I looked at the woman in an all pink suit. She had a horribly knitted pink hat on top of her brown hair. She looked short and stubby. Also very mean. Normally I wasn't the type of person to look into peoples minds but I could tell something was off about her. I looked inside her mind to find she had a strength for occulemency, much like my aunt and Rose Riddle.

     I hadn't gone into her mind as she would've known someone broke down the barriers of her mind. I looked away to Fred and George who were hunched over a piece of paper. I smiled slightly watching Fred's lips turn into a smile.

     I felt eyes on me I turned my head to find the new Professor looking at me before smiling. I looked back to Dumbledore as she began speaking. She had walked around the table as she spoke.

    "She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge" I heard Harry say to Hermione.

      After she was done speaking she smiled slightly then walked back to her seat.

    Soon we had been dismissed. Susan went to find Hermione, Ron and Harry while I slowly walked to the common room.

     I had wanted to walk alone. It felt weird being back here, in these halls. Everyone acted as if nothing had happened. As if a student hadn't died last year. It was odd and I didn't like it.

    I entered the common room as everyone instantly stopped talking and began staring at me. Many of them with copies of the daily prophet in hand. Some had pictures of Harry, most had pictures with me beside him. I looked at one of the boys.

    "Levi, Oliver good holiday?" I asked.

    "Alright. Better than Oliver's" Levi said.

   Oliver than stood come walking towards me

    "My mum didn't want me to come back this year" he said.

    "Why not?" I asked.

    "Let me see uh because of you. The daily prophets been saying a lot of things about you and Harry" he said.

    "And your mum believes them?" I asked tilting my head. 

    "Well nobody was there the night Cedric died" he said.

     Once he said Cedric's name my blood boiled.

    "Well then I guess you should read the daily prophet like your stupid mother. It'll tell you everything you need to know!" I snapped.

    "Don't you dare talk about my mother like that" he said stepping closer.

    "Or what?" I asked.

    Oliver stepped closer as my eyes glowed.

     "Take another step I dare you" I said softly.

      He stepped backward in defeat.

     "Anybody else got a problem with me!" I asked. "Didn't think so."

     I made my way to my room as everyone began chatting again. As I laid in bed staring at the ceiling I let out a deep breath. This year was going to be more difficult than I thought.

     The following day wasn't much better. I got out bed quickly brushing my hair out. I put on my robes before going to defense of the dark arts. Normally I would have been excited for this class but the new Professor had made fhat difficult.

     I walked to class when Fred and Lee came up on either side of me. Fred wrapping his arm around my waist. I smiled looking up at him as he placed a small kiss on my forehead. We got to class as Fred and Lee went to sit in the back. I sat beside Teddy in the second row to the front.

    Chattering going on until a wretched voice was heard.

     "Good morning children" Umbridge had said. "Ordinary Wizarding Level Examinations. O-W-L's more commonly know as the OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be severe."

     She held her wand up levitating books, placing them in front of each student.

    "Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry approved course of defense of magic. Yes?" She asked responding to a hand raised.

     We all turned to see Amelia with her hand raised.

    "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells" she said.

    "Using spells?" Umbridge laughed. "Well I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

    "We're not going to use magic?" Teddy asked.

    "You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure risk-free way" she said.

    "Well what use is that if we're going to be attacked. It won't be risk free" I said.

   "Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class" she said turning her body to the board.

    I turned to Teddy then back to her as she turned around smiling.

    "It is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all is what school is about" she said clasping her hands together.

    "And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" I asked.

    "There is nothing out there dear. Who do you imagine want to attack children like yourself?" She asked.

    "Oh I don't know maybe Lord Voldemort? Or Enchantress?" I said staring at her.

    "Now let me make this quite plain. You have been told that two very dark wizards are at large once again. This is a lie" she said walking down the desks.

    "It is not a lie! I saw him! I fought him! I fought her!" I yelled.

    "Detention Miss Black!" She said.

    "So according to you Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord!" I said.

    "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident!" She said.

    "I watched him get murdered! Voldemort killed him!" I said.

    "Enough!" She yelled. "Enough."

    "See me later Miss Black, my office" she said.

     I slammed the book on the table before walking out. I walked down the hall as tears filled my eyes. Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident. His death was no where near an accident. A hand grabbed my arm turning me around. Fred.

     "Not in the mood to talk" I said turning back around.

    "I know things have been kind of weird between us. Let's just lay by the dock" he said.

     I slightly nodded my head.

    Walking to the dock was peaceful with no talking. We sat at the edge looking over the lake. I felt Fred's mind everywhere but here. Something was off about him. Something that would soon come to light.