Ch 13: Cerebro

Edited 6/3/21

Moony and Andy found out about the dreams and the voices in my head. They weren't too happy about me not telling them. I knew either Charles or Teddy told them. I wasn't angry although they were. I continued having the dreams, each time differently than the one before. Andy seemed to be walking around eggshells when she was around me. It was annoying.

I got out of bed changing into a shirt and jeans. I walked down the stairs to find Andy and Moony talking in a hush tone. They noticed me and immediately stopped talking.

"Good morning" I said going to the kitchen. I pulled out some orange juice, grabbing a cup from the cupboard. I began pouring juice into the cup.

"Are you nervous?" Andy asked.

"Why would I be nervous?" I asked confused.

I looked to her as her facial expression changed.

"I'm not dying" I laughed.

"Don't say that! W-we know what the power did to that Jean girl" she said.

"She couldn't control it, that's different" I said.

'We are just worried thats all dear" Moony said.

"Charles will figure out what is going on" I said.

"And what if he can't?" Andy questioned.

I thought for a second before speaking.

"I don't think you'll like the answer" I said sitting down. They looked at each other not saying a word.

I handed Teddy my letters to Fred and George to give to them when he goes to the burrow later today. I also handed him my letter to Harry to send off as well as Susan's.

Andy and Moony continued to have hush conversations until I left to New York. I closed my eyes, reopening them to the school. I began walking towards Charles office when I was knocked down by someone. I quickly got up ready to tell when I noticed who it was.

"Alex!" I yelled pulling him into a hug. "I missed you."

    "Missed you too bunny" he smiled.

    I forgot how blue his eyes were or how soft they were. I turned around to find Peter running towards me in his normal speed.

"Hey we need to talk about you know what" he said.

"I know" I said. "I think-" I was cut off.

"Aurora my dear!" Charles said behind me. I smiled. "Peter, Alex I am going to need to steal her for a bit."

"We'll talk when I come back up" I said in his mind.

     He slightly nodded. I turned to Alex giving him a soft smile before walking away.

I followed Charles to the elevator going down to the X-Men base. It was an odd silence, I could tell something was off putting about him. We went into the lab area. Professor Hank already there awaiting our arrival.

"It is nice to see you Aurora" he smiled.

"You too professor" I said sitting on the chair.

Professor Hank began hooking me up to the machines. Asking me questions about the dreams as Charles sat there listening not saying a word. Describing the pain I was enduring almost triggered Charles.

"Did Jean ever experience this?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"She could not control it as you can. She let it consume her until she was no more" he said.

They looked over the blood work and the test results. Everything seemed to be in perfect order except for one thing, one thing they did not tell me about. After Professor Hank left to put the results in I asked Charles a question that startled him.

"Is it possible she is alive?" I asked.

     He looked at me astonished.

"She is dead" he said.

"As you said before I have the most powerful mind alive, not even you can penetrate it. Jean's mind is the only other that comes close to the strength of my mind. Who else could have done this?" I asked. "What about Cerebro?"

"If she was alive I would not be able to find her even with Cerebro" he said. "But you could."

I nodded following him to the heavily locked room. He stood at the entrance signaling me to keep walking to the machine. I walked closer to it sitting down at the chair. I looked over the machine before carefully placing the helmet onto my head. I clicked a couple buttons closing my eyes. I saw thousands and thousands of mutants. Children, teenagers and adults. Some of them being tortured, some living a normal life. I found Susan, sitting at home with her grandmother. That was odd, I could see her grandmother even though she was not a mutant. Susan's body had a light yellow glow to it not the normal white, also odd. I continued searching on when a voice was heard inside my head.

"Stop!" It yelled.

"Ah!" I yelled.

"Aurora!" Professor Hank yelled running.

"Hank no!" Charles yelled stopping him.

I could feel my face cracking. I could feel my hands glowing.

"Destroy it!" It yelled once again.

     Pain going throughout my mind like before.

"Are you scared Jean?" I asked.

I pushed through the pain continuing looking for her. For a split second I thought I saw her, that is when the voice was heard again.

"Give it to me!" She yelled.

Professor Hank yanked Cerebro off my head.

"Aurora are you okay?" He asked as the cracking slowly went away.

"I'm fine" I turned around to Charles. "I couldn't find her" I lied.

At first they did not want to let me go but decided other wise. I went upstairs looking for Peter before I went to find my other friends.

We sat down on a bench outside.

"Do you think she could be my sister?" He asked.

"She has his powers Peter, you and I both know those powers are not common" I said. I handed him the picture of Susan. "She doesn't know who her real father is."

He took the picture smiling at her.

"Go get the group" I smiled as he ran.

Minutes later Kitty, Storm, Scott and Jubilee were in front of me hugging. We sat there talking about the past school year.

"How is Fred?" Kitty asking smiling.

"I am not going to talk about that" I said looking down.

"Come on the Aurora Black doesn't want to talk?" Jubilee laughed.

"I guess I like him but he doesn't feel the same way" I said.

     Kitty's face slightly frowning.

"I doubt that" Storm said.

"Let's change the conversation please" I said.

Hours passed and I needed to go home.

"I will write to all of you every single week" I said as a tear streamed down my right cheek. "I love you all."

I transported back home knowing I am about to be bombarded with questions by Andy and Moony. Once I walked to the kitchen is when the questions started. I lied saying it was a simple fix, nothing too serious. I didn't want to worry them although it seems I am lying to everyone. I wasn't sure if I would be fine. But what I did know is that what was to come I could have never been prepared for.