The Left Wing

Gwyn knew that the Shadowsinger had remained outside her door all night. 

  Even though he was as silent as night itself...she could always feel his nearness. And that was the only reason her terrors ended.

  His nearness calmed her down, even from a door away.

  She snuggled back into her mattress, letting the gentle lull of his shadows caress her back to sleep.

  Gwyn had felt their disappearance in that last few weeks and was comforted by their presence  again.

  The priestess was able to sleep throughout the night and was woken by the rising sun. She slipped out of her bed and dressed for her morning routine.

  That routine consisted of Gwyn meeting with Tamlin outside as they shared oranges and stories. She had grown a strange friendship with him and found herself excited to wake up each morning so that she could speak to him.

  But today as she slammed open her door, she came face to face with the Shadowsinger.

 She had slept so well that she had forgotten that he had been outside the entire night.

  He was currently slumped over, eyes closed in a daze. Gwyn found herself observing every detail of his perfect face.

  Azriel was another being when he slept.

  His face was full of such...tranquility.

  As she breathed in his scent, she sparked a silent noise, causing his eyes to snap open. He was instantly on his feet, a blush forming along his neck and ears.

 "I.." he ran a hand through his dark hair.

 "I thought you were in danger and I-"

 "Thank you," Gwyn interrupted before he gave her some silly excuse. She had known why he remained the night. She averted her eyes and she passed by him and met with Tamlin outside.

  He was waiting for her on the hill, three ripe oranges were at his feet. They began their morning discussions.

 "You know, you have some powers from Spring."

  Gwyn's head snapped up at that comment, "What would make you say that?"

 "Do you not feel it, Gwyneth?" Tamlin turned his head, showcasing his land.

 "Do you not feel the power of the Spring Court in your veins?"

 "I do feel something, but it could just be my body adjusting to a new setting."

  He shook his head with a smile, "You truly always have an intelligent answer."

 "Well, considering that I have never felt or used these powers...that seems like the most logical explanation."

 "I think you have to learn how to use your powers before..." he paused with a frown, "before you go back to that forest."

  She considered the statement, "And how would I even begin to tap into these mysterious powers?"

 "With my help."

  And so, their morning routine slowly became lessons on how to manifest Gwyn's powers.

  She felt at home as she practiced with Tamlin beside her.

  As if she was meant to do that, and be there, in Spring, her whole life.

  She became more confident at the meetings with Lucien because of the energy that she was manifesting.

 The magic meditation practice was still difficult and she felt that it would take her double the time to truly master it.