Right Next To You

Azriel wanted to rip out all their throats.

  How dare any man make her feel uncomfortable ever again.

  He almost stood and unleashed his sword, anything to have them stop staring at her like that. 

  Gwyn was noticeably fidgeting with her red gown, her second of confidence had completely disappeared as she stepped onto the stage. 

  The entire room smelled of desire for her, and Gwyn more than likely scented it as well. She began her song, but her voice was slightly pitched. 

  Her breaths, coming in an uneven pattern. 

  Gwyn's eyes shined with desperation and fear as some of the men made comments.

  Azriel could not sit here and do nothing.

  And so he stood, draining his glass of whiskey in one shot, and walked towards Gwyn.

  This is madness, Azriel.

  The closer he got to her... the more he could fully appreciate the gown. He almost did not blame the men in room for going mad.

  He did not think he had ever seen anything so angelic.

  And as they made eye contact, her voice trembled once more. 

  But he had already made it to the stage, towards her. Azriel had known the song instantly, it was a melody that his mother used to hum.

  Her eyes widened as he crossed the distance between them on the stage. 

  And in that room of snickering men, Azriel began to sing for the first in hundred's of years. 

  Gwyn's own voice caught in surprise, quickly trying to harmonize with his.

  Every, single, person, disappeared. 

  All Azriel could do was stare at her glowing face. Her beautiful breaths, her beautiful lips. The way her shoulders rose were a form of wonder.

  The necklace, sitting along the lines of her collarbones, was also singing with them...shining.

  He could not believe that it had taken this long for him to hear her sing.

  He could not believe that it taken this long for him to sing next to her.

  But nothing, in his entire life, had felt so right, until now.

  Damn be the guests, damn be anyone who judged him. He would do anything to continue singing with her like this. 

  And when she smiled widely, his own breath caught.

  They were on that stage, harmonizing, gazing at each other for what seemed like centuries. 

  His shadows swirled, danced, and completely lost control around him. 

  But the song had ended before things got out of hand.

  Gwyn stood still in front of him, chest heaving. "Well, that definitely was not a life threatening situation, Shadow-singer," she whispered up to him.

  Azriel could barely respond because the entire crowd stood, clapping enthusiastically. He sarcastically bowed and held out a hand for Gwyn.

  She bowed as gracefully as dancer, but as sturdy as Valkyrie. He could not keep his eyes off Gwyn, even after he had been dragged off the stage. 

  Cassian grabbed him by the shoulder, "What in the Cauldron, Az? That was incredible! I had no idea you could even sound like that."

  Azriel shrugged, "I told myself you could hear me sing on the day of your wedding. I never thought it would happen, but here we are."