A Pity.

No one spoke for a full minute, and Azriel's shadows grew flustered.

  Gwyn's face when Rhysand revealed whom she would be partnered with... Azriel never wanted to see anyone dress an expression like that.

 Shame was not  a strong enough word to completely captivate what he felt in his chest.

  All he could see at night were her slim, beautiful fingers, placing that damn necklace in Elain's awaiting hand.

  All he could remember was how she gazed at him in his compromising position with Elain.

  It almost broke him.

  Because suddenly... her judgments mattered to him.

  They mattered to his shadows.

  He felt such burning shame, he had to have many drinks to dull his aching thoughts.

  Now, sitting across from Gwyn as she was clearly trying to remain professional because she wanted nothing to do with the Shadowsinger, made him want to shatter a glass.

  But, he remained still, just like he always did.

  Calm, and collected.

 "Why does it have to be Azriel?" Elain's trembling voice broke throughout the hall.

  Cauldron damn. 

  That could have easily been the most horrible question to ask.

  Lucien turned his head to gaze at his mate, his eyes burning with the same question that the entire table had.

  Rhysand clenched his jaw, tightly. "We believe that Azriel would be the perfect candidate to escort, Ms. Berdara, to spring. It may be best for my Shadowsinger to take a break...from the night court."

  And there it was.

  The entire table knew what had happened, except for the Autumn lord.

  He did not know how, or whom had said anything. Azriel was positive that Gwyn would never share something like that to the High Lord.

  That left Elain...

  She was currently staring down at her fidgeting fingers. His shadows whispered the answer.

  Elain must have said something to her sisters. He could sense her guilt...but also her resentment.

  She clearly did not think that Azriel would be shunned from the Night Court... with Gwyn none of the less.

 "Well, what do you two think? You will of course be paid for all your services. Once you have a seat in my inner circle, you will have my utter and complete protection. I have also opened the town house for you two to reside in if you ever wish." Rhysand stated.

  Emerie and Gwyn both glanced at each other.

 "I would be honoured to represent you and your court, my Lord," Emerie stood and held out a hand to the High Lord.

  Their hands clasped in the middle of the table. Emerie quickly took her seat while smiling widely at Mor beside her.

  And that left Gwyn.

  Her face had grown pale white from all the attention. Azriel knew she was battling with her inner thoughts.

  Maybe the girl was not ready to leave the library?

  Maybe this was all too much, too sudden?

 "I am honoured by the request, my Lord. But may I take a few days to think of the offer over?" Gwyn's voice shook.