51 | comatose.

charlotte's pov.

My eyes flutter open as I let out a heavy exhale. I rub the back of my neck, twisting my head around a bit as I let out a groan, a sharp pain pinching in the back of my neck.

I look around the room, realizing I'm still sitting in the middle of the waiting room. I glance over, noticing Spence sitting in the chair, sound asleep next to me. I smile softly--he looks so peaceful. After a restless night, he's finally getting some sleep.

I glance up to the doorway, noticing a familiar face walk into the waiting room.

She approaches me slowly, her cheeks flushing a bit, "Charlotte Rhodes? I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Dr. Lexie Grey-" She begins in a softened tone.

I nod, "I remember." I state.

"Okay, well, Derek is still in surgery. They've been operating all night, but he's stable. He suffered from extensive injuries, but we have our top surgeons who are doing the absolute best they can." She explains.

I nod, "Thank you." I state with a soft smile.

She glances over to Spence as I do the same, nudging him a bit to wake him up. His eyes immediately flutter open as he let out a sharp, fearful exhale.

"Hey..." I begin, placing my hand on his shoulder as he sits up.

"Luke-" He begins.

Lexie nods, a warm smile dancing on his lips, "He's stable and out of surgery. We moved him up to the ICU about two hours ago--he's finally awake and responsive, asking for you." She states.

Spence smiles brightly, "He's okay?" He asks.

Lexie nods again at Spence's words, "He's okay." She states in a reassuring tone.

"Can I see him?" Spence asks in a low tone, chewing on his bottom lip anxiously.

Lexie nods, "Of course. Come with me." She states, gesturing for him to follow her.

Spence gets up, following after Lexie. His footsteps come to a sudden stop, turning on his heels to face me for a moment.

"Do you want to come?" He asks.

I shake my head, "Luke wants to see you. Go, be with him." I state.

Spence's brow furrows, "Are you sure? I don't want to leave you alone while you're in this vulnerable state." He states.

I bite down on my bottom lip and nod, "Don't worry about me. Go, be with Luke-go see how he's doing and make him feel loved and safe-make sure he knows we're all here for him." I state in a softened tone.

Spence nods slightly at my words, a playful smile dancing on his lips as he takes a step forward. He slowly wraps his arm around me as he pulls me into a tight hug.

"Thank you." Spence mutters in a low tone.

My brow furrows at his words, "For what?" I ask, pulling out of the hug.

"For being you." He states.

I shake my head slightly, "Not quite sure I know what you mean." I state.

Spence chuckles lightly, "You'll figure it out sooner or later." He states, playfully ruffling his hands through my hair.

I push him away slightly, moving away from his grip.

I playfully punch his shoulder as I let out a soft groan, "You're such a dork. Go, be with Luke." I state in a soft, teasing tone.

Spence nods, "Let me know if there's any updates on Derek, or if you need to talk about anything. I'm always here for you, Char, you know that." He states.