14 | news

charlotte's pov.
time lapse: a week later

I wake up to the sound of my alarm blaring through my room. I let out a soft groan as I turn to shut it off. I yawn tremendously, shaking my head as I rub my eyes, sleepily. I grab my phone off the charger port on my nightstand and climb out of bed.

It's my first day back to work after the incident. Hotch and Strauss gave me the week off - so I spent half of it in New York, dealing with paparazzi and hanging out with old friends, and spent the other half in Virginia, doing work from home, even though Hotch specifically told me not to. Derek left New York the next day, having to leave with the rest of the team, but I've still spoken to him a good amount since then.

I walk into my bathroom, turning the shower on. I power on my phone, going through unread text messages, voicemails, and emails - nothing important.

The second I finish going through them, I set my phone on the bathroom counter and begin stripping off each of my clothes. I climb into the shower, the hot water hitting my shoulders immediately. I flinch slightly at the heat, but the familiarity of it cools over my body within seconds.

I exfoliate my body with body wash and shampoo, the familiar scents filling the shower. I rinse off my body before massaging conditioner into my scalp and running it through the rest of my hair. I let it sit for a few moments before rinsing it out.

I finish my shower, grabbing the towel off the rack next to it. I dry my body off and wrap it around me. I step out of the shower, the cold breeze hitting my bare shoulders. I flinch a bit as I rush back to my bedroom.

I look into my closet, rummaging through it for a couple of moments. I shake my head, not knowing what to wear. It's my first day back in a week, and I want to look more presentable, especially after every thing that happened in New York.

I debate for a moment, finally deciding on a red t-shirt, tucking it into matte black slacks. I pair the matte black slacks with a matte black blazer and simple flats.

I smile softly in the mirror, examining myself closely. I pair my outfit with a pair of earrings and a matching necklace.

I rub my hair with a towel slowly, letting it fall to my shoulders. I walk back to my bathroom, grabbing my brush from the container in the cabinet. I brush my hair thoroughly, not wanting to dry it with my hair dryer. I let it fall to my shoulders to air dry, putting my hairbrush away and walking out of the bathroom and head downstairs.

I grab my keys, credentials, and briefcase. I would grab my go-bag and gun, but today is a regular day of deskwork, so it's not needed. I smile softly as I open the front door, taking in a small breath of fresh air.

I shut and lock the door behind me, heading down my patio steps and down to my driveway. I get into my car, putting the keys in the ignition. I put my car in reverse and pull out of my driveway, heading straight to the bureau.

The drive is short. Once I make it to the bureau, I pull into my parking spot. I pull my keys out of the ignition and climb out of the car, heading up to the building.

I make my way to the elevators, making the short elevator ride up to the bullpen of the BAU. I smile softly as the elevator bell dings, leading me down the hall and to the large glass doors. I make my way in, noticing that Reid, Emily, and JJ are already here.

I smile softly as they all look up to me, grinning widely, "Good morning." I state, making my way to my desk.

"Good morning." Reid states, looking at me, his eyes quite longing.

My brow furrows, "What?" I ask, curiously.

He shrugs his shoulders, "I didn't know you and Morgan are together." He states, slightly piercing his lips together.

I shake my head together, "We're not. What makes you think that?" I ask, giggling softly.

"You're glowing." He states.

"Where are you going with this?" I ask.

Reid chuckles, "You only glow when you're around Morgan, or when you have good news revolving around him." He explains.

I giggle softly, "Well, I will have you know that Derek and I are not together." I state.

Reid's brow furrows as he gives me a small look, knowing that there has to be more to it.

I look down at my watch and then back up to Reid, "Speaking of which, where is Derek?" I ask, looking around the bullpen.

"He's in Chicago." Reid mumbles, keeping his gaze on the book he's reading.

I shake my head, "Why is he in Chicago?" I ask in a low tone, my brow furrowing.

Reid looks up to me, "He didn't tell you?"

I shake my head, "Tell me what?" I ask.

Reid chuckles lightly, "Derek goes to Chicaho once a year. He goes every year to celebrate his mom's birthday." He explains, looking back down at the book he's reading.

•••

time lapse: after work

I sit down on my bed, a non-alcoholic red wine in hand. I grab my laptop, turning on an episode of Parks and Rec. I smile softly, laughing at the small bits of comedy throughout the episode.

Suddenly, my phone begins ringing, startling me out of my focus. I let out a soft groan in annoyance, hoping it's not work-related. I place my cup of red wine on my nightstand, exchanging it for my cell phone.

INCOMING CALL: Grant Anderson.

I furrow my brow slightly, sliding my finger across the screen to answer the phone call.

"Rhodes." I state in a low, stern tone.

Anderson clears his throat, "Hey Charlie, I'm sorry if I'm interrupting anything. Hotch told me to give everyone an emergency recall back to the bureau. He told me not to tell anyone why, but to tell them to get back to the bureau immediately with their go-bag, credentials, etc." He explains.

I nod in slightly understanding, "Okay. Thanks, Anderson. I'll see you soon." I state.

Anderson hums softly in response, "See you soon." He mumbles, hanging up the phone.

I shut my laptop and climb off my bed, heading straight to my closet. I grab my go-bag from the chest in front of my bed, filling it with some clothes. I zip up my go-bag, tossing the strap over my shoulder.

I walk downstairs, heading into my office. I open the small bench in the corner of my office, revealing the hidden safe inside. I put in my pin, grabbing out my gun and putting it into my holster on my belt.

I grab my credentials, putting it on the outside pocket of my blazer. I shut the safe door, followed by shutting the bench.

I walk out of my house door, shutting and locking it behind me. I head down the patio steps, climbing back into my car. I pull out of my driveway, making the short drive back to the bureau.

____

I walk back into the bullpen, noticing the team all standing in a small group.

My brow furrows slightly, "Does anyone know why we're here?" I ask, curiously.

Everyone shakes their head. I look up, noticing Hotch walking towards us, a stern look plastered all over his face.

"Why are we here?" I ask, curiously.

Hotch shake his head, "Morgan's been arrested in Chicago." He states, sternly.

My lips part slowly as my jaw drops, "I- how? W-What are the charges?" I ask, stumbling over my words a bit.

Hotch's jaw clenches and unclenches as he lets out a sharp exhale, "Homicide." He mutters in a low, stern tone.

I shake my head in disbelief, my lips parting slowly.

What the hell did you do, huckleberry?