26 | lucid dreams

derek's pov.

I let out a heavy gasp, my body trembling at the sense of cold. I look around as I feel my eyes widen in fear. I see smoke in the distance. I squint, noticing the flipped car. I shake my head, not being able to turn on my side. I let out a heavy grunt, trying to get closer to the car. I can't. I can't move. I can't feel anything from the waist down. I feel like I'm paralyzed.

I watch as someone climbs out of the car. I squint again, noticing it's Charlotte. I open my mouth, my lips parting slowly. I go to yell her name as she looks around in fear.

"Derek!" I hear Charlotte yell.

"Ch-" I begin to yell, my voice cutting out immediately.

I shake my head, letting out a heavy sob. I listen as Charlotte continues to yell my name.

What the fuck happened? How did we end up like this? I think to myself, straining my mind to think of anything that could have caused the car accident. I can't remember anything.

I let out a heavy cough, blood spewing from my lips. I wipe my hand across my mouth, my eyes widening in sudden fear.

I turn my head, watching as Charlotte stumbles around, "Derek! Derek!" I hear Charlotte continue to scream.

I toss my head back in pain, letting out a sharp exhale. Tears burn and sting my cheeks as they stream down my face. I watch Charlotte continue to stumble, looking for me. I turn on my side, placing my arm out. I drag my body along the pavement, trying to get closer to Charlotte--I can't feel my legs. I would get up if I could.

The rustling from my movement catches Charlotte's attention suddenly, "Derek? Derek, is that you?" She asks, her voice shaky as she lets out a sob.

I let out a heavy grunt in pain as Charlotte runs over to me, stumbling a bit.

"Oh, huckleberry..." She mumbles, dropping down on her knees beside me.

A sudden car stops beside us, two figures jumping out, "Charlotte? Derek?" I hear a familiar voice call out as Charlotte looks up, her eyes widening in slight shock.

Charlotte looks back down at me, "Spence and Hotch are here. We're gonna be okay, love. We're gonna be okay." She repeats in a soft, reassuring tone.

"What happened?" Hotch asks, sternly.

Charlotte shakes her head, applying more pressure on the open wound on my lower abdomen, "We uh- we had a car accident, or well, it wasn't an accident. There is no other car. But, Derek- he wasn't wearing his seat belt. I told him to put it on, causing him to take his eyes off the road, and suddenly there was someone walking in the road. Derek stops suddenly and all four tires blew out and made us spin out of control and, uh- shit! I don't remember what else happened."

Spence shakes his head, "It's okay. You're doing your best. The medics are on their way. Are you hurt?" He asks.

Charlotte shakes her head, "Derek got it worse. When the car flipped, he tried to cover me from getting hurt, which caused him to fly out of the windshield." She states, placing her palm firmly on her forehead.

"How bad is he?" Hotch asks, looking down at my body

Charlotte begins to ramble on about things, but all I can feel is a euphoric feeling filling my mind--one that makes me dizzy and lightheaded. I feel my eyes roll back, my body rapidly trembling. I let out a heavy gasp, coughing up a shit ton of blood. Charlotte's eyes land back on me, her eyes filling with worry as they begin to water.

"Derek! Look at me. Right at me. I'm right here." She says as I begin to doze off.

The sounds of ambulance sirens rack my mind as I try to keep my focus on Charlotte.