45 | CDs

charlotte's pov.

I smile softly, excitement beaming inside of me as Derek takes my hand into his, leading me towards the exit of the diner. We stop by the cash register for a moment.

Derek's lips parting slowly before he's quickly cut off, "Don't worry about it. It's on the house." The cashier states with a soft smile, glancing between the both of us.

Derek shakes his head, "Nonsense." He begins to argue, pulling his credit card out.

"That's really not necessary, sir." The cashier states, placing her hand out in refusal.

Derek lets out a huff in annoyance, placing his wallet in his back pocket again, "Thank you." He states with a soft grin.

He turns to me for a moment, his eyes searching mine, "Wait here. I'll be back in two seconds, okay? Don't go anywhere. Wait for me." He states in a soft tone.

I giggle softly and shake my head, "I'm not a kid. I'm not gonna wander off and get lost." I state in a joking tone.

Derek chuckles lightheartedly, shaking his head a bit, "You always seem to slip away from me, love. I don't want to look away for two seconds and then look back just to see that you're gone." He states in a soft tone.

I never managed to slip away from you after that...but you did, Derek.

You slipped out of my grasp. Why did you have to do that?

Why couldn't you have just stayed still and not gone anywhere? Why did you have to try to be a hero like you always do?

He leans in and kisses my forehead softly before turning on his heels and disappearing into the distance, his body slowly fading as he turns the corner.

I stand by the counter, rocking on my heels as I wait. I pull my phone out of my purse and immediately turn it on, dialing Spence's number.

The line barely rings twice before Spence's tone fills the receiver, "Happy birthday!" He exclaims in a lighthearted, happy tone.

"Thank you!" I state, giggling softly.

Spence chuckles lightly, "So, how's Derek treating you today? Is your special day not that fun? Do I need to come save you from him? Say the word and I'm there." He states.

I giggle softly, shaking my head, "He's actually doing pretty good at this whole birthday surprise thing. We just finished breakfast at the diner and he said he has a day of surprises and adventures planned, but he disappeared in the diner... I'm just waiting for him right now." I state, switching the phone to the other ear as I pace back and forth, waiting for Derek.

Spence hums softly in response to my words, "That sounds like fun." He responds bluntly, making it seem like he's hiding something from me.

My brow furrows a bit as I look at the time on my phone screen -- 9:32am.

I press the phone to my ear again, clearing my throat a bit, "Is everything okay? How's work? How's the case going? Any new leads on it?" I ask, pleading for more information.

"Nope. No new leads. I'll let you know if I find anything new." He states shortly.

Muttering fills the receiver as Spence starts talking to someone else. I listen as his hand covers the microphone of his phone, making the conversation go inaudible--causing me to not be able to understand or hear anything.

I hear Spence shush someone on the other line before clearing his throat, "Listen, Char, I gotta go. Luke has an idea about the case. I'll let you know if it's anything important and I'll talk to you later, okay?" He asks.