38 | braids.

derek's pov.

I let out a small sharp exhale, "C'mon, let's get you upstairs." I mumble to Charlotte as she nods and releases herself from the hug.

I take her hand into mine, lacing my pinky with hers--I would normally hold her, but we held pinkies for the first time in Chicago, and haven't been able to stop since.

Sometimes, we don't even realize we're doing it--it's like a sudden instinct or reflex.

I guide Charlotte up the stairs and into her bedroom. She sits down on the edge of her bed as I walk over to her closet, getting her some comfy clothes to wear so that she can finally get out of the soaked ones.

I pick out an oversized red t-shirt and some plaid pajama pants. I walk over to the bed, clothes in my hand.

I set it down beside her, "Okay, I'm gonna go downstairs so you can get dressed. I'll be back in a few minutes." I state in a soft tone as Charlotte sits on the edge of the bed, her body frozen in place.

I can tell her mind is racking itself with thoughts, "Charlotte..." I mumble, causing her to look up at me.

Her eyes meet mine, longing, as they search mine.

"I'm gonna go downstairs so you can get dressed, okay? I'll be back soon." I state.

I turn on my heels and start walking away from the bed, but suddenly I feel Charlotte's hand grasp my wrist, pulling me to a sudden halt. I turn back around, my eyes searching hers as my body slightly hovers over hers.

"Please don't go..." She states in a raspy tone, her longing eyes meeting mine.

I nod, "I'm okay with whatever you want. If you want me to go, I'll go. If you want me to stay, I'll stay." I state in a reassuring tone.

Charlotte smiles softly, "I don't want you to go, Derek." She states, shaking her head.

I grin softly, "Then I won't go." I state.

I glance down at her clothes as I place my hand on her shoulder--the fabric draping over it sends a cold feeling to my hand.

I shake my head, "Let's get you out of these clothes. I don't want you to get sick." I state.

Charlotte nods slightly as I help her slide her sweater off. Her touch is cold as her hands land on mine, helping me slip the red t-shirt onto her body. I squat down as my hands snake down the side of Charlotte's body and travel down to her legs, helping her take the black ripped jeans off. Her lips part slowly at my touch, a small gasp escaping from my lips. I slide the plaid pajama pants onto her legs, making her smile softly as the sudden warmth begins to her body.

I stand back up and lean in, giving Charlotte a small kiss on the forehead.

"Thank you." She mumbles as I pull away.

I nod as I slowly run my fingers through her wet hair, "Do you have a hairbrush and a couple of elastic hair ties?" I ask.

Charlotte's brow furrows in curiosity as she nods, gesturing over to where she keeps the things she can use for her hair.

I grin softly as I walk over, grabbing a couple of hair ties and the hairbrush. I walk back over and place it on top of the chest in front of her bed.

I turn to face Charlotte for a moment, "I will be right back. I just have to find something to change into. I might have some clothes in my go-bag, which is currently sitting in the trunk of my car." I state.

Charlotte shakes her head, "You don't have to do that..." She mutters.

I chuckle lightly at her words, "Yes, I do. I'm soaking wet. As I recall, I was standing in the rain with you earlier." I state.