16 | framing

charlotte's pov.
mini author's note: i know that gideon was the one who was actually in season two, episode twelve, but i put rossi instead to make it fit better with this book's storyline. i hope you all enjoy this chapter :)

________

We land in Chicago, Illinois. We get into the SUVs that the head of the bureau had brought to Chicago for us. I climb into a car with Hotch and Spence -- Rossi, Emily and JJ in the other. Hotch speeds out of the parking lot of the airstrip, heading straight to the local police department.

I sit anxiously in the front seat, my mind wandering as I look out the passenger window, my leg bouncing rapidly.

"How did this happen?" I mumble to myself, shaking my head slowly in disbelief.

Hotch places his hand on my shoulder in comfort, "None of us could have expected any of this to happen. I'm sure it's just a simple and small misunderstanding." He states in a low, reassuring tone.

I shake my head, "It's not like Derek. There is no way he could have killed someone. He didn't even wanna kill a fly when we were in Manhatten!" I exclaim defensively, shaking my head in major disbelief.

Hotch nods, "Charlotte, we will figure this out. I promise I will do everything in my power to fix this." He states, keeping his eyes fixated on the road.

"I know. I just can't believe this..." I mumble.

Reid clears his throat, "They have no evidence to lock him up. They searched the scene and can't find his fingerprints anywhere. They're only holding him in the interrogation room for forty eight hours while they bluff." He explains.

I nod as the car comes to a stop in front of the local police department. Hotch, Spence, and I climb out of the car, meeting with Rossi, JJ, and Emily.

Hotch takes the lead as we all follow him up the steps of the police department.

We make our way to the front desk, "Special Agent Hotcher, FBI. I'm looking for Detective..." Hotch pauses, looking down at a small note, "Gordinski." He states, looking back up at the person sitting at the desk.

A bald man approaches the desk, "I got this, Chuck." He states, looking at the man sitting at the desk as he nods in understanding.

The bald man looks up at the team, "How you guys doing? Wally Dennison, CPD." He introduced himself as he approached all of us slowly.

Hotch takes a step in front of him, his brow furrowing slightly, "Where's Agent Morgan?"

Wally puts his hands on his hips, "Detective Gordonski's in with the suspect now." He states, his eyes meeting Hotch's.

I shake my head angrily, "Derek Morgan is not one of your fucking suspects." I mutter under my breath.

Emily hears me, snickering softly. I smile softly, giving her a small glance. Hotch glances back at both of us, putting out laughter at a sudden pause.

Hotch turns back to Wally, "I need to see him." He states in a low, stern tone.

Wally shakes his head, glancing between the team, "When my partner's finished talking to him." He states, sternly.

I shake my head, rolling my eyes as my lips part slowly.

Hotch shakes his head lightly, not taking any of Wally's bullshit excuses, "I have your superintendent's personal cell number, and in the interest of not running roughshod over another police agency, I've resisted calling him so far. I need to see Agent Morgan now." He states in a stern tone, his jaw slowly clenching and unclenching in slight anger.