19. King

King's POV

I walked down the block and turned to circle to the alley. I know I saw someone back there, sneaking around. As I peeked around the corner, I didn't see anything but still decided to check it out anyway.

As I got closer to the alley next to Leo's house, I noticed the gravel was kicked around and cigarette butts were scattered about. There were quite a lot of them which seemed weird as I picked one up and looked at it.

The butt was tan with a silver ring about in the middle and burned down as far as it would go. I didn't smoke cigarettes unless drunk so I wasn't sure what brand it was as I put it in my pocket. Maybe Kiki would know. They looked all the same to me.

I looked around again but didn't see anything around that made me question as people walked around in the park across the way and kids played at the large playground. Whoever was here was long gone by now.

I just hoped it was someone who lived in this apartment building and it was just weird timing when I looked over or a child sneaking around to smoke these cigarettes. Something still didn't feel right though.

———

I walked into the house not looking forward to my uncle bitching at me just yet but it would have been worth it.

My uncle was sitting at the computer, no surprise there. He didn't look at me but I heard the loud sigh of frustration. "King, I can't believe I have to say this to you but you don't ever leave Kiki alone with all that stuff in the car to deal with on her own. What if another gang decided they wanted to make a move and try to take us down? It's not safe to be alone, especially in the city, out of my territory. What the hell is wrong with you? What were you thinking?"

"I'm sorry. My friend needed some help," I told him truthfully. No point in lying about it. He'd just find out later anyway like he always did.

"And who is this 'friend' that so desperately needed your help that you left your own family alone and unguarded?" He asked in a smug tone as he turned around. He was pissed, I could tell.

"He's a classmate of mine from school. His name's Leo," I told him, getting a little defensive. "But he really needed-,"

He about jumped out of the chair looking completely shocked. "Leo? You mean Leo Turner? What happened?" He asked with concern and that really threw me off guard.

"You... you know him?" I asked cautiously and filled with confusion.

He looked down and scratched his chin. "Uh, well no. Not Leo personally but I know of the family. Now tell me, is he okay?"

"Yeah... I made sure he got home safe." I was still confused because he was acting weird. I've never seen him worried about someone that wasn't family before like he was just then.

He smiled a little with a low chuckle before mumbling, "To think of all people, it would be him." He then turned around in his chair again.

"Am I weirdly or secretly related to that kid?" I asked bluntly. Why else would he be so concerned about him like that? I started to feel sick just thinking about it but I needed to know.

He looked over at me and laughed a little at the horror that was all over my face. "No. Don't worry, we have no blood or marriage connections to the Turner family. Anyways, you fight tonight. Don't forget about that." He changed the subject quickly and looked back at the computer.

"Sooo," I started not sure if I should jump back to me leaving Kiki alone but I didn't want him to be mad at me. "You still mad about-,"

"Just forget it. Go get some rest. I have money on you tonight so I don't need you tired."