17. Leo

Leo's POV

I ran into the house quickly, filled with fear. My father stood right in the hallway just feet in front of me when I turned around after closing the door. He looked confused as he looked up.

"What the hell happened to your face?" He asked as I could hear the anger in his voice hinting at a slight concern.

"I'm... I'm sorry I'm late, dad. I was trying to get home as-,"

"Leo, that doesn't answer my question," he said while he put his work bag down to grab his hat and keys off the small table next to me.

"A kid from school hit me when I was walking home because he- he didn't get first place on our project, but we got second place," I told him truthfully.

His eyebrows drew together quickly in question. "What? That's the stupidest reason to fight someone. You hit the dumb ass back right?" He asked me and picked up his bag again.

"Uh, yeah. Once or twice but another classmate stopped it before it got too far out of hand. I'm sorry. I knew the time would run late and was trying to get home but it all just happened so fast," I was still shaking because I thought he would hit me for being late.

"Well as long as you hit the kid back for his stupidity. I changed her bags and gave her some medicine so she's sleeping right now. I'll call at 9. I'll be working late so I won't be home until about noon." He grabbed the doorknob as I stepped away from the door. "And Leo," he stopped and looked over at me. "Good job hitting the kid back and holding your ground. You're just like your mother in that way." Then he walked out and left me looking at the door dumbfounded for a few moments.

His mood swings were getting harder to read and deal with. I shook it off a little before walking over to the bathroom to clean myself off and then changed into something more comfortable before I went upstairs to see my mom.

She was asleep while I worked on my homework with Winter sleeping next to her. It made me smile that she took to my mom so fast. I was even happier my mom had some company all day and night too since the only time she left her side was to eat and use the bathroom.

It was late by the time I started reading out loud to her. I knew she was asleep and couldn't hear me but I did it anyway. Soon enough my eyes started to heavy and I laid my head down on the bed next to both of them and soon felt myself drift into a darkening sleep.

The next day after my father came home I let him sleep for a few hours before he woke up and handed me a list.

"I'm sorry Leo. I'm not feeling too well. Can you go to the city and pick this stuff up for me?"

I took the list and looked it over as I answered, "of course. Do you need me to get you anything while I'm at any of these stores?"

"No. I just need to get some more sleep and I'll feel better. I wrote down what stores are the best to get this stuff from too and here is my card." He handed me his debit card. "You remember the pin right?"

"Yes," I said while getting up and putting it in my wallet before walking into my room and getting ready.

The summer air had a hint of a fall chill so I had on a light gray beanie and a heavy blue hoodie. I hated the cold so much but thankfully the sun was still out and shining.

I sat at the bus stop a few blocks away with my big headphones in and my iPod blaring music loudly. I closed my eyes leaning against the window of the bus stop to relax, soaking up the warm sunlight and letting the music take over me. It was nice. It's been a long time since I had the chance to do that.

Just then I heard a loud noise and opened my eyes to see the bus pulling away. I shot up running after it. "Wait wait wait!!!" I yelled pointlessly at it because it didn't stop. "Fuck!" I yelled in frustration watching it get further away. The next bus wouldn't come for another hour or so. My dad was going to kill me for sure this time.