#78 - Etched On Skin (AU) (Part III)

Start from the beginning

"I think it's safe to say that watching a movie together is not our thing," Annabeth said, stifling a yawn. She tried to comb out her hair with her fingers, but the tangled curls kept getting in the way. Annabeth frowned. "I must look like a nightmare."

Percy shrugged. "Honestly, I've seen you look worse."

Annabeth released an indignant scoff. "Excuse me?"

His eyes widened with alarm. "No, no, not that you look bad!" he stammered. "Just like—we—quests and that time in the Labyrinth—and the water slide—"

A snicker escaped her at his failed attempt to salvage the situation. "Zeus, if I'd known it was that easy to make you panic..." Annabeth rolled her eyes, swatting at him with a pillow. "Relax."

Percy looked like he had just suffered a heart attack. He deflected the pillow with a scowl. "You can't do that to me," he complained.

"It's funny," Annabeth said defensively. "Seriously, you don't have to walk on eggshells around me just because—"

The cabin door creaked, making both of them jump.

Annabeth glanced at Percy with alarm. He stared back at with identical panic. They were alone in a cabin, not only breaking camp rules, but also with very compromising appearances.

Percy released a helpless squeak as Annabeth snapped her head around searching for a place to hide.

Without any other choice, Annabeth dove off mattress, tumbling under the bed and shuffling so that she was pressed between the wall and the floor, sucking in a breath.

"Percy!" It was Grover, walking inside with his recognisable gait. His shoes were the only things Annabeth could see as he traipsed over to Percy's bed. Annabeth squeezed her eyes shut.

'Please don't see me', she prayed desperately. Aside from the obvious rule-breaking punishment, Annabeth genuinely didn't think she would survive the embarrassment. No, no, if Grover found her in Percy's room, in her pyjamas with a raging bed head, she'd simply go drown herself in the sea. It was only a couple minutes away.

isn't drowning yourself a little dramatic?

Annabeth rolled her eyes.

shut up
and stop it
handle grover first
annoy me later

There was a second's pause before the soulmark vanished and was replaced.

i hope you know i won't let you drown yourself
besides
it would be kind of funny if he found you now

no you idiot
it absolutely would not be

it would be to me

"Grover!" came Percy's voice, dripping with gaze nonchalance. "What's up?"

Grover stopped short in his tracks. "Why are you so awake?" he said confusedly. "You don't wake up before 9."

"Um," Percy hesitated. "Nightmare."

Annabeth covered her face with a hand, holding in a groan.

what else was i supposed to say?!

As expected, Grover let out a scared bleat. "Kronos again? I know we haven't seen them since the failed attack from the Labyrinth, but it feels weird, doesn't it? What was the nightmare about? Do we need to tell Chiron?"

"No, no," Percy said hastily. "It's not that important. Just the usual...evil laughing...and stuff."

Annabeth closed her eyes and forced out a silent breath.