Chapter 23 ~ Bandaged Up

Start from the beginning

Sophie looked down embarrassed. "No, you're fine."

Here she was committing to the Neverseen and she couldn't even handle a cut.

"That scythe does hurt," Carter said.

"Oh...they had to cut your hand too?" Sophie asked, realizing how dumb the question was. Of course they did it to him.

"Yeah," he said, holding out his hand to reveal a barely healed cut.

Sophie tried not to show her surprise when she asked, "uh that looks like it happened not too long ago."

"You're right. They did it to me a week ago," he said, looking down.

Sophie narrowed her eyes. "A week ago? Are you like...new then?"

Carter nodded.

"Oh, we're both new then," Sophie said, figuring that was why he seemed a bit more on the shy side.

Carter cleared his throat. "Yeah."

"Why do they trust you so much then?" Sophie asked.

"I'm not the one who was forced to join," Carter said, looking back at her.

Sophie looked down and coughed. "Right."

There was a an awkward pause and Sophie gathered the courage to ask, "so why did you join?"

"Guess," Carter said, finishing up with wrapping her hand.

"Uhm...money?" Sophie asked.

"Money isn't infinite," Carter replied.

Sophie raised an eye brow. "So...you want something permanent?"

"That's...what I'm hoping for," Carter said quietly.

"Hmm," Sophie thought. "What really is permanent though? Doesn't everything eventually have an end?"

"Lots of things do. But I think there are a few things that can be forever."

"Like?" Sophie asked.

"Love," Carter said.

Sophie snorted. "Love? You joined the Neverseen and you believe in love?"

Who was this dude?!

Carter smiled for the first time. "What makes you think I wouldn't— even if I'm in the Neverseen?"

"Uhhhh...you steal, ruin people's lives, murder," Sophie listed.

"I'm new here so I haven't done any of that," Carter said.

"And when will you?" Sophie challenged, looking him in the eye.

Carter looked away. "Fate brought me here and I have yet to figure out what I'll do."

"Wow...very deep," Sophie said, nodding.

"Well, you tend to get like that when you're involved in music," he said.

"Oh you do music?!" Sophie exclaimed.

Carter's eyes then widened. "I um— no."

"No?" Sophie asked, confused at why he was acting so weird now.

"I didn't mean to say that," he stuttered.

"Then what did you mean to say?" Sophie asked.

"I meant to say nothing," Carter said, finished with putting everything away and turning back to face Sophie.

"What's wrong with music?" Sophie pushed.

Carter looked down and rubbed his eyes. "I think you should get back to your room now."

Sophie couldn't help feeling a bit hurt and confused but she pulled herself together and stood up.

"I was going to do that anyways," Sophie said, putting on a brave face as she stalked past him and brushed his shoulder.

Sophie didn't dare let herself look back at him as she left him alone in the room.

Sophie couldn't help feeling so curious to figure out what he was hiding.

But, she barely knew this dude so it's not like she should care.

But she did and she wanted to find out herself.

And it was then when Sophie realized that Carter never actually told her why he joined the Neverseen.

I'll say nothing about this one, I'll let you all decide how you feel about it. 😁

Well, next update is Friday so see ya rats then!