Chapter - 40 : Betrayed and Broken

Start from the beginning

"Ye...Yes... Yes, Dev you are right. He is the one. But what the hell he is doing with Sid?" Ram startled with thumping heart.

Swara and Sujata along with others were rooted on their place after hearing those words.

"What are you saying Dad?" Sanskar whisper yelled with open mouth.

"I don't remember any one of us have ever met this truck driver anytime outside of jail. We first time met him when Police confiscated him that too in jail. And he never came out on bail or on pay roll. We always had tap on him." Dev rubbed his forehead recalling those dreadful days.

"Dad, Uncle do you remember Divya Aunty's exact accident date?" Sanskar questioned being impatient.

"13th June 2001... How can I forget that dreadful day?" Ram mumbled still staring at picture.

Ram's eyes filled with tears remembering the day when he received news of her accident. Doctors were skeptical about her survival due to impact of accident. Her tears, her helplessness over her disability, her depression, her pain trembled him in place even today. Sujata kept her palm on his shoulder in her support.

"This picture is taken exactly on next day Dad. Look over there, it's time stamp when this picture was taken, ...14th June 2001, 10:38 PM." Sanskar pointed his finger.

Ram's trance was broken when Sanskar's words hit his eardrums. Loud gasp boomed in the study room.

Sujata covered her mouth being bewilderment. Deadly silence was spread across the room, no one was in position to come out of the spell casted on them by their horrendous past.

"Do... do...you...do you think Sid was responsible for Divya's accident?" Ram muttered in horrified tone, keeping his shivering palm on Sanskar's shoulder.

Sanskar turned to father. His father was trembling, his face had turned pale white and one tear slid down over his cheek. It was for the first time Sanskar was witnessing helplessness on his father's face.

"Dad Please" Sanskar wrapped his arms around his father's shoulder to give him some support.

"I think, Divya Aunty was just a scapegoat, his main target was you and Mom. It was decided you and she would go to..." Sanskar carefully used his words to form a sentence but he could not finish as he felt his father's weight on him.

Ram felt dizzy in moment, his head started spinning when his mind registered the betrayal played by the person whom he trusted more than his life.

"Uncle" Neil came forward to support.

"Ram" Sujata shrieked, but she was also shivering with recent revelations. Tears were continuously flowing from her eyes.

"How... How could?" Dev looked at Anurag in bewilderment.

Anurag's condition was the same, recent revelations made all of them tongue tied.

"Dad please... Please control yourself" Sanskar became worried over his father's collapse. He made his father sit on nearby couch with the help of Neil and Niren.

"Dad please" Swara came with glass of water and sat on her knees in front of her father-in-law. She forcefully made him drink water.

"Ram please" Sujata held her husband's shoulder sitting beside him.

"I ... I don't believe this... Sid... no ... he can't do this ... He is my best friend...This is all bullshit" Ram was mumbling to himself trying to wake him up from nightmare he was experiencing in his real life.

"Sanskar what are you talking about? How can you say this? How can you blame him? He is family. This is not possible" Sujata fumbled with her words.