Chapter 55 - Breaking the News

Leena stirred with a groan and a stretch, yawning broadly as she rubbed hair out of her face. As she opened her eyes and looked over at her wife, she smiled. "Oh, you're awake already. Good morning beautiful," she said sweetly as Sheja's eyes gazed straight through her. "Let me go get Cer," she said as she slowly worked her way to her feet.

Over the last several days, Cerno kept Sheja on a schedule while she was unable to express any of her needs verbally. They learned though that her eyes closed when she became sleepy, and her lips slightly parted whenever she was hungry.

"She's going to want a steak after all of these smoothies," Leena whispered to Cerno to try keep Sheja from hearing as one of the maids delivered a tray with a purplish smoothie on it, no doubt one containing blueberries or blackberries. After Cerno helped her in the bathroom and got her changed, he assisted getting her sat up and Leena helped to feed her.

"I'm just glad her body still reacts to natural things. Needing air, swallowing food...I'm actually surprised she's able to still control when she needs to use the toilet."

"Know what I'm surprised about?" Leena asked with a chuckle. "That Twyn hasn't tried to beat down your front door."

Cerno let out a short laugh.

Throughout the days and yet another snow front that had come through Saorsa, Sheja was still included in all of their activities since they knew her mind was still active. Today was a restful day for them though, and while Cerno and Rose were in his office working and making sure his city was still in order, Sheja and Leena lounged together in the family room.

Sheja was sat in the corner of the couch and Leena laid cuddled up against her. There was something comedic playing on the television but Leena laid silent and read a book. Every now and then, Leena would look up at Sheja and smile lovingly. "I love you," she'd affirm as she'd reach up and gently brush her wife's soft pink cheeks. "I hope you're feeling okay."

Sheja's eyes still looked straight ahead to wherever her face was pointing. Not even her pupils would dilate in emotional reactions, but this time they did.

Leena's brow furrowed as she almost missed it. "Did you..." She sat up and turned to look at her wife better. "Your eyes reacted! Sheja, can you look at me?"

Sheja's eyes remained fixed straight forward but her pupils slowly shrank back to a normal size.

Leena sighed and took both of Sheja's hands in hers and gave them a gentle squeeze. "Fight, baby. I'm here cheering you on," she chuckled. Just as she let go of one hand to grab for her book again, there was a soft twitch of a finger in the hand she still held. "You really are starting to come back to me," she said excitedly. "This is great! I'm going to go let your brother know. Stay here, no running off," she teased as she got to her feet.

Sheja sat unmoved.

"I can hear your eyes rolling without your eyes actually rolling, y'kno," she chuckled as she turned down the hallway toward Cerno's office. Just as she was about to pass the staircase, she stumbled but quickly caught her balance and leaned herself against the wall with one hand. She placed her other hand low on the side of her abdomen and clenched her eyes tightly shut as she let out a pained pant. She hadn't felt this since the morning of the Gala nearly two and a half weeks ago.

Laughter erupted from inside the office and echoed into the hallway through the open door.

After the pain subsided, Leena took a deep breath and carefully straightened herself upright. Making sure she was stable before walking again, she slowly continued toward the office. Stepping into the doorway, she couldn't help but let out a chuckle as Rose playfully sat across Cerno's lap in his chair. They were joking about different absurd wedding ideas like Cerno wearing the wedding gown or having Twyn be the flower girl. Cerno countered by threatening her with suggesting Twyn be the bride.