Chapter 26 - The Missing

"Shej, hurry up!" Twyn hollered.

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to find my other sneaker," Shej said as she came running down the stairs, shoes in hand. She sat on the couch and quickly slipped them on. "I still had them in a storage tote otherwise I would have had them by the door. Why are you in such a hurry anyway?"

"One of the shops in the market is having a really good sale for prime cuts of boar. I want to make sure we get the best offerings for the Week of Giving."

"Have fun you two," Leena said, sitting down on the couch and propping her feet up, a book in hand. "Take an umbrella, it's to start raining again later today."

"Thanks," Shej said with a smile, kissing the top of Leena's head. "We'll be back soon."

"You sure you don't want to go spend this down time with Ily and Arwen?" Twyn asked as Shej went out the door.

"I think I just want to enjoy the quietness of being alone for a little bit. I won't have much of that once motherhood comes."

"True. Well, send a bird if you need anything."

Leena waved him away and Twyn left, running after Sheja who was already a ways down the path.

"So, what else do you want for dinner? Bean casserole? Yams?" Twyn asked as they approached the marketplace. He smiled as Shej's arm was wrapped around his, walking slow together side by side.

"Everything sounds delicious. I mean, there are seven nights, we can make a little of everything," she said.

Twyn laughed heartily. "That's a lot of work, especially since we're the ones having to do the cooking this year. I'm not letting either Ily or Leena off their feet."

"They're worth the effort though," Sheja said softly, smiling as she reached out and briefly picked up a peach, inhaling it's sweet smell. "Plus, this is the first year we're all really excited about the Week of Giving. Let's really have a go at it and make it memorable."

"Yeah, I suppose you've got a point," Twyn said as they continued to walk around.

Shej stopped in her tracks and looked around, Twyn stopping just after and looking back at her.

"What's up?" Twyn asked quietly, noticing Shej looking slightly troubled.

"I feel it again."

"Like you're being watched?"

"Yeah."

"Actually, you're not wrong. On your six," Twyn said softly.

Shej slowly turned around and saw a young woman on the other side of the plaza staring straight at her. She realized neither her nor Twyn would have noticed her if it hadn't been for her piercing blue eyes that stood out like a beacon. Her heart thumped hard in her chest.

"Should we say something to her?" Twyn asked.

Shej stayed silent as the woman broke her stare and turned, walking away from the plaza.

"Let's follow her," he said, taking Shej's hand and pulling her along. At first Sheja hesitated but it didn't take much to get her to move along with him. "This is the best chance that we're going to get for some answers."

Both Shej and Twyn broke into a jog to try catch up but after just a few corners, the woman was gone.

"There's no one here, she couldn't have just vanished!" Twyn said, doing a full circle, looking around.

"What does she want with me? I just want answers!" Shej yelled out loud in anger. She let out a growl, slamming the side of her fist against the nearby wall.