Chapter 30 - Death of a Raven

Cerno let out a cry, grabbing his chest and collapsing to his knees, bracing himself up with one arm. His pain was unheard by the people below as it was drown out by the music, but everyone on the mezzanine looked at him.

"What's wrong, Cer?" Ily asked concerned, quickly going up and kneeling next to him.

He let out another yell of agony, grabbing his chest harder.

Twyn's eyes went wide, recognizing Cerno's reaction and knowing his best friend was in trouble. "Find Shej! Now!" he turned and yelled at a Guardian. He ran his hands up through his hair as panic instantly sent his heart racing, turning in a circle and looking around the huge room, trying to think of where she could be.

Cerno's eyes went wide as he stared straight at the floor, his body trembled violently and tears from the pain fell from his face. "Go...check on Leena," he attempted to demand of Ilyana as he tried to gently push her away.

Twyn nodded his head towards the stairs, motioning for Ilyana to go as asked. As soon as she was out of earshot, he helped Cerno get to his feet and sat him in a chair. "Don't tell me you were just severed from her. Do not tell me she's dead, Cerno," he growled, tears welling up in his eyes.

"I don't know what happened, but she will be if we don't find her fast," he groaned. He let out another groan filled hiss and keeled over forward with both hands grasping his chest and forehead pressed hard into the table as one more pain tore through his chest. It was the most excruciating of the three and he so badly wanted to cry out but he did his best to hold onto what little composure he could. He reached out and grabbed Twyn's arm tightly as he fought for his next breath of air and Twyn could only imagine how much pain Cerno was in.

"If she dies, you better fire your Seer and brace Saorsa for the firestorm that will burn it to the ground searching for her killer."

"Speaking of Leena, where is she going?" he growled and pointed after slowly propping himself back up on one arm as soon as he was able to get a breath. The pain was still searing in his chest as he saw Leena and Twyn's unique shade of red hair floating through the crowd. Much to Twyn's protest, he started to push his way to his feet.

"Ilyana must have just missed her from the hallway below. You need to sit back down, Cer."

Salashai followed her master with her head down as they made their way through tables and people, finally reaching and climbing the grand staircase. Just as he passed through the doors, two guards stepped out and stopped Salashai in her tracks.

"Mrs. Angevin, we are on strict order to not let you leave without an escort," the first stated. "Let me go get Master Cerno, he can set the escort for you."

"No, I'm...I'm just heading out to our carriage to get a change of clothes," she said quietly.

 "You only had to ask, Leena," Cerno's voice said flatly as he walked up. He noticed Leena wouldn't look at him. He tried to stay calm and collected but the pain was still fierce in his chest, like he was being torn apart. It took every ounce of his strength to keep the pain out of his expression, especially as something definitely was amiss. "Sheja's missing, have you seen her?"

"Last I knew, she went off to use the bathroom," she said.

"And what about Rosalie?" he asked firmly, his arms hanging at his sides and fists balled tightly, realizing she still wouldn't look at him. "Seeing as you're pacted to us right now and all, I should have found you two here together. Ah, right," he said, raising a hand snapping his fingers in thought. "She's in the bathroom. Where you are. And where Sheja isn't." He stepped up to her and grabbed her arm, forcing her to look at him. His own eyes went wide as the blue ones glared maliciously back at him. "Salashai?"