Chapter 36 - Secrets & Lies

There was a knock at the door. Cleaned up and dressed after spending time in the pool, Nikola skipped over and opened the door.

"Oh, hello child," Lydia said sweetly. "Haven't met you before. My name is Lydia, I help with Leena's babies. Is Mister Cerno or Madam Sheja available?"

"Auntie Sheja is asleep," she started with her small voice, holding up the rouse. She realized she really hated lying to such wonderful people like Lydia, even though Lydia has spoken with her earlier. "Uncle Sir has her kept in her room, I think she's sick. She didn't have breakfast or lunch with us today. I had a peanut butter banana sandwich!"

"¡Nikola! ¿Por que abrista la puerta?" a housemaid scowled, walking up behind her. "Ah, Madam Lydia. Please, come in. Master Cerno is currently away on business but will be back this evening. Is there something I can assist you with?"

Lydia looked at the child and suddenly looked concerned by her words. "I was just here to inquire where the Sherson's and Miss Leena were," she replied, her voice softer and a little heavier than it was. "I wanted to check in on them but no one seemed to be home."

"Yes, they are all upstairs," the maid replied. "I can get someone to escort you upstairs to them. Stay here, please."

As the maid wandered off, Nikola looked up at Lydia and noticed she was holding something. "Would you like me to carry your box for you, Madam Lydia?"

Lydia forced a laugh, "Oh you're too sweet. You don't need to call me Madam, little ducklin'." She kneeled down to Nikola's height. "How strong are your hands? Do you have two of them? Let me see," she said with a chuckle.

Nikola giggled and held up her hands. It felt silly but she knew Lydia was genuinely treating her like the small child she appeared to be. It was obvious that Lydia was great with children, not just by helping bring them into the world.

"Okay. They've gotta be real strong because in one hand, you're gonna take one of these," she started as she opened the small box. Inside were a dozen of her chocolate chip cookies. "Take one, my lovely," she insisted.

"Now what?" Nikola asked after taking one as instructed. They were still fresh and the sweet chocolaty smell smelled so delightful.

Lydia laughed. "The rest of these are for Miss Leena, so if your hands are strong enough, you can carry the box with your other hand while you eat that one. Are you up for such a big task?"

"Yes!" Nikola said excitedly, holding out her free hand. She curled her arm around the box as Lydia handed it to her.

"Madam Lydia," Kurt said as he approached. "I was advised you would like to see Madam Leena and the Sherson's?"

"I would, if you'd be so kind to lead the way. It's been a few hours since I examined Miss Leena and would just like to make sure her babies still aren't takin' any extra tolls on her."

"Sure. This way," he said, turning towards the stairs.

Walking down the hallway on the second floor, Lydia stopped just out front of Sheja's room, Nikola polishing off her cookie and licking her fingers. She briefly stepped up and placed her hand flat on the door, furrowing her brow as the wood was ice cold.

"Madam Lydia?" Kurt asked, turning back to look at her.

"I thought Sheja had woken up?"

"No," he said sorrowfully.

"May I examine her? I coulda sworn I spoke with her this morning."

"Upon Master Cerno's orders, no one is allowed to disturb Madam Sheja's body unless he is present."