Chapter 38 - Anger Issues

A few days pass and the house is buzzing with all the final touches for the funeral. The downstairs den was filled with flower arrangements, the kitchen wafted smells of ham and spices through the hallways, and the dining hall was being set up banquet style.

Cerno sat in his office downstairs, trying to put final touches together for the following morning. He leaned his elbows onto his desk, reaching up and rubbing his temples.

"You need to take a break, Cer," Rose said softly, walking up and setting a cup of coffee next to him.

"We have everything figured out except how we're going to catch a Shadow," he growled.

"Nikola's been pretty good at sensing sources these last few days. I feel her scan every room she enters," Rose said, sitting on the edge of the desk. "Maybe she can scan sources as people enter the area."

"We have to do something."

"I know, and we will. He's not going to get away with hurting Sheja. He's not going to be allowed to hurt Leena."

"That's another thing. Knowing what we know now, how do I knowingly let Leena go out to attend the funeral that she is expected to be at?"

"Why wouldn't she go to the funeral?" Nikola's small voice piped up from the doorway as she entered.

"Shit," Cerno muttered under his breath.

"I'm going to go get something to nosh on. Want me to bring you back anything?" Rose said, quickly getting to her feet and walking past Nikola, oddly not even waiting for an answer.

Cerno stared at her quick departure in utter betrayal.

"What are you two hiding from me this time? What's wrong with Leena going?"

"Nothing," he growled as he returned to his paperwork.

Nikola suddenly looked angry. "Maddie had to of seen his plans when she looked at Salashai's timeline but you won't tell me anything. What do you know about it, Cerno?" she demanded, trying to stay calm.

"You need to focus on the crowds tomorrow. Find our father so we can apprehend him and get him locked away."

"Cerno," she growled. "Tell me."

He glared up at her. "Go away, I'm busy."

"Why don't you want me knowing that he's planning to kill Leena? Why can't you just tell me that instead of being as big of an asshole as him?"

Cerno's eyes went wide at the insult.

"Yeah, I've noticed. You try be all straight up and stiff like him all the time. You get that gruff he had from time to time. You constantly try to keep from telling me things. And yeah, I also know you admired him right up until the moment you found out he was the one who stuck a knife practically in your chest. Why else would this mansion be everything like the one back home if you didn't want to be like dear old dad?"

"That's completely uncalled for," he said sternly, getting to his feet and coming out from behind his desk.

"You still haven't told me anything and Maddie saw Salashai, what? Three, four days ago? And you're even lying to Rose?" Her whole body shifted as she walked up to Cerno, using her source to shift the size of her clothing as well. She picked up a letter opener from his desk, holding it handle-side out to him. "Would you like to have a stab at me someday too, dad?"

"What has gotten into you!?" he shouted, taking the letter opener and slamming it back down on his desk. He grabbed her roughly by her arms and gave her a single shake. "I've been fighting to keep you alive, dammit!"