Chapter 22 - Tears in the Rain

"Leena?"

The voice was soft and at the back of her mind, not even really hearing it until she felt a soft touch on her arm, giving her a gentle shake.

"Leena, wake up," the voice beckoned again.

Leena slowly opened her eyes and looked up at the voice, her brain slow to wake up and her vision full of sleep. As she stirred, she realized how stiff her body felt and noticed she hadn't moved at all during the night. She rubbed her eyes as she sat up, only then noticing a pair of blue-gray eyes gazing at her from behind short, absolute black hair. She gasped and she dove into his arms, instantly sobbing again. "You idiot!" she cried out angrily. "Why would you leave me alone!?"

He wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly, trying to comfort her. "Leena, I'm not Shej," he said softly, his heart aching for her. Cerno felt Leena's muscles briefly tighten in his embrace as she realized her mistake, but it didn't last long before her body sort of drooped again. "Guard's reported no one was answering the door. I can sense your movement but I can't sense your source like I can with my sister. You hadn't moved at all, I had to come and make sure you were okay."

"What time is it?" she asked quietly as she sat back, noticing it was daytime but outside the windows, the clouds were dark and the rain was falling hard. "Did Shej show up?"

"It's almost two in the afternoon. And no, sadly."

"Shej's never done this, I'm really worried," Leena said, getting up and walking up to the floor to ceiling windows, looking out over the city. She placed her hand against the glass and realized it was cold.

"She's in the city though, I've had the gates on lockdown."

Leena sighed with a groan, her fingers leaving streaks on the glass as her hand trailed toward the floor. "If only we knew where. I don't understand why no one has been able to find her."

"Leena, while you have a Control and Summoning dual source, Yaya and I have Fluid sources. We have multiple types of magic at our disposal and one of hers, as we both know, is transfiguration. She could be anyone down in the city."

With her back to him, Cerno heard Leena sob again. As he got to his feet to try comfort her again, she spoke again.

"I want to take a shower. Will you and the guards please return to your manor?" Her voice was so soft it was almost drowned out by the downpour of rain hitting the roof.

"Sure. I'll leave Kurt out fro—"

"No. Please, take everyone," she said abruptly. "I feel watched. I feel crowded. I can even feel them inside the treelines. I need to know I'm alone for a little bit, I just want to shower and rest some more. Please."

"You'll let me know if Sheja shows up?"

"Of course."

Leena walked to the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind herself. She turned on the shower as Cerno and his bodyguards turned to leave, but the moment she felt them all gone, she shut the water off and hurriedly dressed herself. Knowing Cerno wouldn't immediately be tracking her for now if she was correct about how he used his ability, she set off down into the city to look around. She figured if Shej saw her alone, maybe she would show herself.

Within minutes of walking, Leena was already soaked from the rain, but the heavy rain made it easy to move about downtown. She ducked into different bars and restaurants, some of the shops, and even the hospital.

She popped into the lodge and while they currently had no occupants, she stopped and stood in front of the fireplace, trying to warm herself. It was still summer, but the rainstorm brought in an odd cold front. She hugged herself tightly as she stood with her back to the fire, realizing some of her joints hurt from letting herself get so cold. Her own flames had become too exhausting to use as the rain kept her extinguished.