Chapter 9 - Taboo

The town seemed a little busier than normal for a weekday as Shej and the twins walked around gathering dinner supplies for their home. Shej held Leena under his arm as the crisp air made her shiver. Winter was in full swing even though Spring was right around the corner, and the late season snow would be upon their village soon.

"I want to stop at the gift shop," Twyn said, smiling.

"Why? Sudden urge for a souvenir for our own hometown?"

Twyn chuckled and turned to face his siblings. "Actually, I want to buy a ring for Ily. Her birthday is in two weeks."

Shej blinked, he hadn't realized how much time had passed since him and Leena had gotten married. And now it would seem Twyn would be offering his hand again, hopefully this time without an unnecessary split lip and black eye.

"Or you could have Shej make one and save your money. He made ours."

"He did? You never told me that." He looked up at Shej.

"Tell me what you want, I'd be more than happy to. Our gift to you for finding your happiness."

Twyn suddenly seemed giddy as they turned and started back to their house instead. "Yeah, she's definitely the one and makes me so happy that Sorene did what she did."

"Minus the cruelty. Whatever the fuck that was about."

"Well, yeah."

"Are we going to have a big ceremony for you?" Leena asked.

"If that's what Ily wants."

Shej pulled his keys out of his pocket as they reached their front door but pauses and looks down at Leena, smiling. "I guess that means we need to look at moving soon..."

Leena's heart skipped a beat as her eyes met his.

"I didn't think about that, but yeah...I guess so. I mean, Ily wants babies so we'll definitely need both bedrooms," Twyn rubbed his chin after setting the groceries down on the kitchen counter. Suddenly he had a thought hit him like a brick and he eyed his sister.

Leena frowned and leaned back a bit. "...why the hell you looking at me all creepy like that?"

"I just realized, you two have been married almost six months."

"Cool, he knows how to count still," Shej sarcastically said to Leena. Twyn's eye roll was almost audible. "Why does that matter?"

"I know for a fact that Leena wanted a baby immediately after getting married, it was a dream of hers. And she's not bulging in the least."

Shej froze in the middle of hanging his and Leena's jackets up. Even Leena wasn't saying anything.

"It was just a silly thought I always had, Twyn. Reality is vastly different and much more scary, that's all," she said softly, walking over and sitting down on the couch, turning on the television. Her attitude suddenly seemed a bit stiff.

After seeing Twyn just staring at her, Shej looked over at Leena who didn't look up at either of them. He looked back at Twyn who this time met his glance, shook his head and shrugged.

Twyn went into his bedroom to change his clothes, mostly realizing he had struck an unknown chord with his sister and figured he'd leave Leena alone for a few moments.

"You've been wanting a baby?" Shej asked her softly, sadness in his voice.

"Not important."

"It is though, Leens."

"You're right, it is important. It's important because we can't travel if we had a baby." She still didn't divert her eyes away from the TV.

"You're twisting the subject." He sat down next to her, facing her and taking her hands in his. He rubbed them a bit, noticing they were still cold from being outside.