Chapter 42 - Dawn of Goodbye

"You look beautiful," Rosalie said as Nikola walked into the dining hall.

The hall was ready to host a post-funeral banquet for the guests but a table was still set for them all to have breakfast. Different pans sat awaiting trays of food, the smells from the kitchen making the whole lower floor smell delightful again.

"We'll all head up to the site soon," Cerno said softly, his head lowered. "The path has been cleared, all the flowers have been placed, and..." Cerno cleared his throat, his brow furrowing, "...and her casket has been set," he said quietly. It was a clear struggle to finish his sentence. "Sheja has a beautiful view right now overlooking the city."

Nikola's eyes welled up as his pain felt extremely real. She got a little mad with herself in secret, wondering why his act had her of all people believing it.

As Cerno and Rosalie sat and talked quietly among themselves, Twyn walked in carrying Leena, Ily and Arwen in tow. As Twyn set her down on the floor, Leena stood wearing a floor length black dress with sleeves that came down and hooked on her middle fingers. It was simple and smooth, and just like her Gala gown, it accentuated her body very beautifully. She kept her hair in a simple braid, and she didn't have much for makeup on.

Twyn fixed his tie after setting Leena down and carefully assisted her with her chair. Nikola noticed that in all black, his body looked sleek and straight-lined, and the black made both of the twin's vibrant red hair and emerald eyes stand out more than normal. Across the table, Ily wore a shorter cocktail-like dress with leggings underneath to keep herself warm once they went outside. No new snow had fallen in the last 24 hours, but the snow was still deep on the ground and the air was still very bitingly cold.

"Now, we all remember our discussion last night. I expect everyone to keep on their toes and stay alert," Cerno said as he stuck his fork into a piece of ham. "Kurt and Vaughn will be stationed up front. Nikola, you will stay with Rosalie and me. Twyn, Ily...I would like you to stay with Leena. I will have Lydia stay here at the manor and take care of Arwen for you."

"I want to stay with Leena," Nikola said in a childish whine.

"This is a very important event and no place for a child so you will do well to stay with your mother and myself. And on your best behavior to boot."

Nikola pouted.

Twyn smirked as he finally sat down.

"Twyn, will you be able to heal Leena if something happens to her?" he asked.

"Come hell or high water."

"Good, let's all finish our breakfast so we can head up. I have a small hut off to the side that we can wait and stay warm in. I don't want us to try push through any groups of people on our way up."

Breakfast ended up being silent and quickly consumed, all of them moving out to the living room to prepare to go out in the snow. Rose was just grabbing Nikola's jacket as Lydia walked up.

"I need a moment with Leena before you go on your ways," she said softly with a smile.

"Sure," Leena replied just as Twyn set her cloak down around her shoulders. She took Lydia's arm and let her lead her into the den.

"Nuh uh, young lady," Cerno said as Nikola started to follow. "Let them speak."

"No, I'm going with," Nikola said.

"It's fine, Mr. Angevin. Nikola can tag along," Lydia said with a smile.

Nikola smiled and slipped into the room before Lydia shut the door. She looked at the photos up on the fireplace mantle, her eyes focusing on the blue bookmark again. It was pretty, and definitely made with love. She finally turned and sat down in the oversized chair Cerno had sat in when they discussed their move in, and looking around the room, it felt cold. All of the curtains were closed and the fire was out.