Chapter 24: Necessary Evil

"Why do you always have to work so hard?", Baekhyun says, sounding annoyed, "Why can't you just take a break and go to the cafeteria with me?"

"I am not working hard. I am just working like I am supposed to be and I am not hungry", Jungkook responds matter of factly, "I am working on these codes. I hope it gets accepted. The new boss will probably ask me to make some last minute changes anyway", he scoffs, typing away on his laptop.

"You are stressing over it for no reason. What is he gonna do about it? The new tech department head? Scold you? Fire you? The boyfriend of our CEO?", Baekhyun says laughing out loud but stops in a few seconds when he sees Jungkook glaring at him.

"Can you not spend just one day without singing this same song? So if I am his boyfriend, I should stop working. Right? Is that what you are trying to say?", he glares at his friend.

"Hey, Kook! Relax. I was just kidding! Okay?"

"Yeah. Your joke is getting old now. Get over it. I don't need him to get a simple code accepted for God's sake. I didn't become the topper of KAIST because of him so I clearly don't need his help with my job. You can stop with your dumb joke now!", he says getting a little mad now.

"Woah! Easy there buddy! I know you are the topper of the no. 1 science and technical university in South Korea. I was just kidding! I know you don't need him to do your job. I was just trying to tease you!", Baekhyun laughs awkwardly.

"Don't", Jungkook deadpans, glaring at him, "Don't tease me. Do your job and let me do mine".

"Okay! Okay! Relax! Jeez! What are you so annoyed for?", Baekhyun shakes his head in disbelief.

Jungkook shifts his focus back to his laptop screen while Baekhyun watches him in shock. Jungkook has never been this rude to anyone let alone his only close friend in office.

He finishes his work and forwards it to his boss to get it presented to the clients when the clock strikes four. He stands up from his chair wanting to take a small stroll when he finds Jimin walking towards the elevator.

"Jimin hyung?", he calls for him.
"Oh hey! Hi Jungkook", he smiles at the younger. "I feel like I see you so often in this office that I forget you don't work here", Jungkook feigns a warm smile.

"Even I forget sometimes that this isn't my office. I come here every other day because your boyfriend is always suing someone", he laughs out loud and finds the younger smiling back.

"Do you handle other clients as well? Other than him?", Jungkook asks looking simply curious.

"Yes. A lot. My law firm has appointed me as Taehyung's lawyer. I represent other people as well"

"Oh!", Jungkook exclaims looking genuinely interested, "Are you also representing Mr. Min by any chance?", he casually asks as he watches the colour on Jimin's face fade.

"Mr. Min? What are you talking about?", Jimin's face has a confused expression.

"Mr. Min Young-jae? The one who got me kidnapped and tortured? The same guy who blackmailed hyung and lives in the Min Mansion? The same Min Mansion that I watched you go into yesterday? Ring any bells?", his face is smiley, his smile full of sarcasm.

"Min? Min Mansion? Why would I go to Min mansion?", Jimin laughs nervously.
Jungkook glares at him and pulls his phone out of his pocket. He sends a picture to Jimin, "I've sent you something. Have a look?"

He pulls his phone out to find a picture of his car entering the gate of Min Mansion with a timestamp and the car's number plate clearly visible. "What the fuck is this Jungkook?", Jimin's face now red.