Chosen - chapter thirty-one

Start from the beginning

"Is that the crest of the king of France?" I asked.

"Indeed. Francis has agreed to allow us to use one of his carriages for our trip."

"That is rather nice of him."

"Yes, it is," Robert agreed.

We bumped along the road for a short distance till a tall, picturesque building came into view. The drive up was surrounded by tall trees, a luscious lawn, and children running about.

So many children!

Dogs jumped and bounded amongst them. It was a happy family and I was thoroughly envious. Everyone stopped what they were doing when the carriage started toward the house. The small children squealed with joy at the prospects of visitors. The older ones ran toward the house yelling for their parents. A tall, portly man with a head of graying hair appeared in the doorway followed by a shorter, dark-haired woman who looked to be much younger than him. I craned my neck to get a good view of the expansive mansion. It was beautiful. Tall spires jutted toward the sky, a grand front stair led to a large, oak door with opulent designs carved into the wood. I had to assume it was the crest of the deputy of Calais.

The carriage pulled to a stop and once John saw who was inside a smile erupted from his face.

"Your majesty! What a surprise!" He opened his arms wide to embrace Cassius. "I was so confused when the children said a French carriage was coming up the drive."

"I'm sorry for the confusion and for coming with no notice."

"Nonsense! You are always welcome, sire. You and your guests." He waved to the rest of us motioning everyone inside.

"Thank you, John. We are on a long journey and could use a place to rest for the evening before we set out."

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"To visit King Francis before setting out for Constantinople."

We followed John to the great hall and sat at a long table. Servants came from every which way bringing platters of food and pitchers of ale and wine.

"Where did they get all this food?" Robert asked.

John laughed heartily as he piled mutton, fruits, cheese, and other foods onto his plate. "My man is very good at keeping food ready at all times."

"This is amazing!" Robert announced, helping himself to large portions.

Angeline watched in horror as the men shoved food in their mouths.

"Husband, please!" the lady of the house said, shaking her head in embarrassment.

"Do forgive me, dear Katherine."

"It seems all the men are more than happy to eat healthy portions." I laughed. "Do not trouble yourself, Katherine."

"I don't know how they can eat like that."

"It's a special talent." Angeline shook her head as picked at the scant piles on her own plate.

We chatted about everything it seemed like. From matters of the kingdom to the Baron's children. The Baroness asked about the king's plans to marry. I couldn't help but blush furiously. It seemed so strange hearing others ask about that part of his life. I wanted to tell them we would get married. Eventually. Cassius didn't mention much, just that there was a lady he was attempting to court. Katherine's eyes grew as large as saucers.

After supper, we were shown to our rooms. Mine was connected to Cassius's. Perhaps they caught on faster than I assumed when he mentioned courting a lady. Of course, who else would it be than a lady he took on a visit with him?

As Angeline helped me change for bed, he came in.

"Joselyn!

"Your majesty," I said, dipping into a curtsy.

"Do you think we could have a few moments alone?" He glanced at Angeline who pursed her lips into a thin line to express her disapproval but ultimately nodded.

Once the door was shut, Cassius crossed the room and wrapped me in his arms. It was fantastic being in his arms after so long. I inhaled deeply, taking in his spicy scent. I loved the way he smelled. He tangled his hands in my hair and pulled my head back gently in order to gaze into my eyes. I smiled as our eyes met, my heart leaping to my throat. He still caused butterflies in the pit of my stomach. He leaned his head down, closing his eyes, and pressed his lips to mine. They were so soft and fantastic.

"You're so good at that," I whispered.

"It's because I love you so much."

My smile widened. "I love you too."

"Can I stay with you tonight?" he asked.

I stared up at him, mouth hanging open. "I-I...yes. I'd love it if you did."