Chapter Twenty-Nine

There was silence for a moment, and no one dared to speak.

George continued to look at the floor, not wanting to make eye contact with any of the three humans sitting there.

"It's...not working?" Dream questioned, confusion laced through his voice.

George shrugged, "I can't access my magic energy source." he said, finally looking up, and seeing the worried looks on all three of them.

They were silent before Wilbur's eyebrows shot up and he leapt out of his chair, startling the others.

"It's because you have legs!" he shouted, and George winced at the sound.

Wilbur noticed this and lowered his voice significantly.

"You're not in your merman form," Wilbur explained, "you said your other merman qualities weren't working in this form, and that's probably why you can't access your magic."

George's eyes widened in realisation, and he internally smacked himself.

How had he been so dumb that he hadn't thought of that?

Tommy and Dream nodded along with Wilbur, and George smiled.

"Right, well- does anyone have some water I could use, or..." George said, and Dream nodded.

"We can go upstairs to your old room, the tank is still there."

George had to suppress a shiver when Dream mentioned that glass box. He only realised after being free from it just how much he hated it.

Dream crossed over the room, obviously noticing the look on George's face, and smiled, hooking their arms together.

"It'll just be for a few minutes," he soothed, "then we can come back down here."

George nodded after a moment, and the two of them bid Wilbur and Tommy goodbye before making their way up the stairs.

George had a much easier time moving up and downstairs now, there was basically no struggle at all, but Dream still liked to be a support beam for him, regardless of his abilities.

George snickered slightly at his protective nature, and Dream glanced down at him.

"What are you laughing at?" he asked, a smile slipping onto his face.

George shook his head, giving Dream a pat on the shoulder as they reached the top. He walked ahead of Dream.

"Don't worry about it!" he called back, and Dream laughed, racing to catch up with him.

George opened the door to the room he used to sleep in, and looked around. It was different from this angle. You know, not being trapped in the water.

It'd been a while since he'd been in here, but it hadn't changed.

The glass box was still there, and he made his way over to it, sighing as he looked at the water that rippled slightly from his feet bounding on the wooden floor.

Dream came up behind him, looking down at it.

George turned to Dream, sighing slightly, and he noticed the man go red as soon as they made eye contact.

Weird.

He shrugged it off, and sat down in front of the water.

His hands held onto the glass, and he bit his lip, glancing up at Dream, who was still standing above him.

"Could you please wait outside?" George murmured, and Dream hesitated for a second, before he nodded, ruffling George's hair, who smiled slightly, before making his way out of the room.