Chapter Twenty

The first thing George thinks of when he wakes up is 'holy shit it's today'.

His head snaps up as he pushes himself into a sitting position, heart thumping with anticipation. He glanced out the window and suppressed a groan. It was mid-morning. He'd have to wait until a bit before midnight before he had the chance to transform.

He glanced up to the roof, looking at the small hatch in the roof that he'd never noticed before. Wilbur had mentioned it late yesterday before heading off to bed, he'd said that opening it would be the best way to get direct moonlight into the room. Even Dream had forgotten it was there, but Ranboo had gone up and opened it to make sure it worked. 

George had no idea how this was going to go. It was such a crazy thing to do that he almost had a hard time believing he was going to attempt this. George bit his lip. He really really hoped it worked.

He wondered what having legs would be like. No matter how much he thought about it, he couldn't picture himself with them. He hoped he didn't look weird. 

George turned over quickly at the sound of Dream yawning. He put his hands on the side of the glass and peered down at the man who'd been sleeping on the floor. Surely sleeping with a mask on was uncomfortable, but he wasn't one to judge.

That was a lie. He judged a lot. Just not much when it came to Dream.

Dream seemed to notice him and he sat up on his blanket, stretching his arms and letting another yawn fall from his mouth before he gave George a soft smile.

"You excited?" Dream asked, voice still deep from sleep.

George let out a hesitant nod, rubbing the back of his head with the hand that wasn't on the glass.

Dream grinned, placing his hand over George's, who flushed slightly.

"Me too." he murmured, and they shared a look before Dream coughed and looked away.

George let out a heavy breath, eyes flicking to Dream's hand on his, before he gazes in the direction Dream was looking.

"Dream?"

"Hmm?" the man answered, looking back to George.

"What's it like to walk?" George murmured, curiosity swirling through his dark chocolate eyes.

Dream pondered it for a moment, opening his mouth several times, unsure of how to answer.

"Well, it's not very hard, you just have to get used to it," Dream started, finally finding the words, "um, it's gotta be like...nowhere near as fast as you are when you swim, but it's pretty good for jumping or stuff."

George raised an eyebrow, and George could see Dream go red under his mask.

"I don't know how to explain it..." Dream groaned in mock annoyance and George let out a loud laugh.

Dream pouted at him, "Don't make fun of me!"

"Too bad." George mused, but let his laughter quieten.

They sat like that for a bit in comfortable silence, listening to the waves splash against the ship outside, and George let his mind wander.

What would happen if this went wrong? Would he be horribly disfigured? Would he be hurt? George frowned, what if it killed him? If it didn't work?

Dream must have noticed the frustrated look on George's face because he cut him off from his thoughts.

"Braid some of my hair?" he murmured, and George raised an eyebrow.