Chapter Twenty-One

When George woke up, it was with a very different feeling than he was used to. He felt lighter, and not as weighed down to the floor. He guessed having no tail would do that to you. 

Last night, he hadn't reacted so much, he'd probably been in a state of shock at the fact that holy shit, it had worked.

He now sat on the floor, where Dream had slept all those nights, in a pile of blankets and a pillow. He clenched the foreign fabric in his hands and let out a gentle sigh at the feeling. It was incredibly soft and very, very dry.

He nudged the blankets off with his legs, deciding it would be a good idea to start working on using them. It was really fucking weird, as he wasn't used to moving two things at once, but his body naturally seemed to take over.

He leaned forward slightly to stare at his legs, which were almost crossed. 

They were...well, he wasn't sure how to explain them. They looked like any average human legs, but he couldn't inspect them fully due to the pants over his skin. His legs matched the skin tone of his upper body as a merman, and he let out a breath as he analysed them.

Toes were weird, he decided. They didn't look natural. He cast his gaze onto the floor, coughing slightly. 

Grot.

He lifted his shirt up slightly to look at his waist. It was weird, not seeing the scales blending into the skin that was usually there.

George almost felt a little bit sick at not having much familiarity left on his body. He was still colourblind though. Typical. Out of every merman feature he had to keep in this form, it was being colourblind? George let out a snort of amusement at his luck.

Something shifted next to him, and with a start, he looked to the side. Oh, Dream was there. Not close enough to touch, but close enough to feel the body heat radiating from him. He was curled into a ball to keep warm, with no pillow and a very thin blanket. George felt guilt stab at his heart.

He'd asked Dream to stay, and he did, but he sacrificed his comfort for him. Dream was something else, that was for sure.

Dream's mask was askew slightly, not enough to see any of his features, but enough to see part of his cheek. 

So George did what anyone would do, and reached forward to poke it.

Dream snapped up with a sharp breath, looking around quickly before he saw George and visibly relaxed.

George let out a soft chuckle at Dream's reaction, and Dream adjusted his mask with a laugh.

"Sorry," Dream murmured, "you startled me."

George shook his head with a smile. Dream let out a breath, looking down at George's legs.

"So...legs." Dream whispered, and George let out an abrupt laugh, covering his mouth with his hand quickly. 

"Legs, indeed." George responded, and Dream chuckled.

"How does it feel?" Dream asked, and George paused. He thought for a moment. He felt completely different...like he wasn't in his body, but also was. He was still him, he still looked...mostly the same, but he was also so different. 

George wasn't sure how to explain this to Dream, so he just gave him a gentle smile and settled with: "It's weird."

Dream laughed, "Yeah I'll bet!" 

George smiled fondly at Dream, noticing a bit of stray hair stuck under Dream's mask. Without thinking, he leaned forward, moving it from under Dream's mask and tucking it behind the blonde's ear.