Chapter Twelve

Dream wakes up with a yawn, adjusting his mask that had shifted further up his face while he slept. It was weird sleeping with his mask, he wasn't used to it, but he was sleeping in another person's room. George's room. So he had to.

He smiled slightly at that. George's room. He didn't have to refer to him as 'the merman' now. He supposed it wouldn't usually be such a big deal that he'd learned his name, but this was George he was thinking about. Someone who'd made it abundantly clear that he did not like Dream and would not give him any personal information. But here he was, telling Dream his name and not being as hostile as before.

Dream turned over to look at the merman, who was still fast asleep under the water, curled up and facing him. He looked so peaceful, almost angelic, like that. His brown hair flowed shortly in the water as he lay there.

Dream bit his lip. Only in sleep, did George look safe. 

When he was awake, he was a mix of fidgety and snappy nature. Despite his retorts and sarcasm, George still held himself in a nervous sort of way. Sure, Dream wasn't seeing it as much as before, but it was still there. And yes, George did ask questions now, and sometimes hold conversations with the blonde, but he was still wary. Dream wondered what George was like without a threat looming over him.

Would he still have the same snappy personality? Or was he nicer? Did he joke around and laugh? Was he happy? Someone everyone enjoyed to be around? Dream would probably never know. 

Then again, no one probably knew. George himself had said he didn't have a family. He'd cut it very short there, obviously not wanting to talk about it. So yeah, maybe no one in the world knew what George was really like. Because George had no one to be himself around. Except maybe those dolphins he was hanging out with before he'd been so rudely captured. Dream winced at the thought. This was his fault.

He gulped sadly, scratching his chin. He hated Schlatt. It was true. Before this whole ordeal, he hadn't had the hugest of issues with the man. They'd almost had some sort of truce. A no bothering each other kind of thing. But of course, Schlatt had to go and mess that up. It was Schlatt's fault that he'd kidnapped George. It was Schlatt's fault that he'd hurt George. It was all Schlatt's fault. But he could have done something about it, couldn't he? Tried to find some other way to avoid the situation? He sighed. No, he couldn't. If he refused to take the job, he'd be hunted down. Running away was out of the question. It would be impossible. Schlatt had just about the largest kingdom known to man. And sure, Dream and his crew never stuck around Lmanberg, they always targeted rich boats from other kingdoms, but Schlatt could easily form an alliance with them to take him down. Those other kingdoms would be happy to do it.

It's not like Dream wanted to live this life. Of course, he loved the sea. More than life itself. He loved the feeling of freedom and the wind in his hair. It was his escape. But he wished he could just do it without the pirate part. He coughed slightly. Everyone had to earn a living in some way. His was just a little bit mean.

Dream didn't think he and his crew were the traditional kinds of pirates. They didn't really kill anyone, and they only stole from rich ships. Dream knows what it's like to struggle. He wouldn't steal from those who need it. His crew was like that too. They were more of a little kingdom of their own. They were family. Nice, amazing people, who had to resort to not so great things to survive. He couldn't blame any of them.

Still, he felt bad. Especially for Ranboo and Tommy. They were just kids. They shouldn't be living this kind of life. Even though Tommy seemed to thrive in it. Dream remembered bringing this up with Phil, Tommy's dad. But he'd just been answered with a friendly, albeit sad, pat on the shoulder, and a small "it's just how it is, mate", before being left standing there.

Wilbur, Phil and Tommy were definitely part of the family, sure, but they were also their own little family inside of that. They were related though, so it was to be expected. 

Dream remembered sitting with the three of them one night after the others had retired to their rooms or to shifts. They'd been sitting downstairs, in the main room where they ate, around the couches and cushions. They'd been talking about random things before a very...sensitive subject was brought up.

The subject of which was about their other brother. Apparently, a brother that none of the crew really knew about. Of course, there'd been mentions of it, but the three of them never really liked to speak about it, so everyone else just learned not to pry.

But Phil had brought it up that night. He'd spoken sadly about another son, a son who'd just disappeared one night, two years before meeting Dream. No note, nothing. Just all of his stuff having disappeared, never to be heard of again. Dream didn't catch his name. But apparently, they'd waited, and waited and waited for him to come back, but he never did. The man had been a huge provider in helping them sustain a balanced life, and without him, they crumbled, meeting Dream and resorting to becoming pirates. Tommy was only 14 when he met Dream, in comparison to the now 16-year-old. Tommy mustn't have seen his brother since he was 12. Dream felt bad for the kid. He felt bad for all three of them. 

He didn't remember much of what he said that night, he just knew it was reassurances and loving words. He never brought it up again. The other three didn't either.

Dream sometimes thought about this conversation, just like he was right now. He wondered about this extra brother, son. He wondered what he was like. If he was like Phil, or Wilbur, or Tommy...or none of them at all. He wondered if he'd fit in with their crew if he was there. What the family dynamic would be like with an extra. Poor Philza. It must hurt to lose a son. Dream knew how much it hurt to lose family, no matter how different they were. Dream had never been close with his family, they fought to no end, but still, when they met their demise, he'd been sad. Because despite everything, they were still his blood. But it was okay now. He'd found a new family. He'd found a family with Phil, he'd found a family with Bad, he'd found a family with Sapnap, he'd found a family with everyone on this ship. Everyone on this ship.

Dream turned to his side again, looking over at George, who still rested soundly. After being told of his name the day before, they'd talked for a bit, while Dream tried to explain human foods to George, who didn't seem appealed by any of it. Dream had gasped in shock and promised to get all the things he spoke of so George could try them and admit that human food was better than the boring fish George ate. The brunette had rolled his eyes at that, but had smiled. They'd sat and talked for hours, not leaving until dinner, and after that had talked until the late hours of the night about simple things. Dream didn't ask about his freak out the night before again. He didn't want to overstep. And if he'd made things to block George's ears the next time a storm happened, no one needed to know.

In all truth, Dream was starting to care about George. Despite not knowing what he was really like, George intrigued him. He was a mystery. Of course he was! He was a merman for gods sake! But George was nice when he wasn't snapping. He was curious. He wanted to learn things. And Dream wanted to teach him them. He wanted to show him all the amazing things that George had missed out on. Dream bit his lip. He just wasn't sure if he had time.

x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x -x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x - x

Hello, friendsssss! Short chapter, I know, I know, I am sorry :(((

So, I have plans tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll have time to update. I'm hanging out with friends and then sleeping over at one of their houses, but if I find a little downtime I'll get my laptop out and write a quick chapter. I don't want to make any promises though because I'm not sure if I will find time to, but I hope I can! The day after that I'm not sure what time I'll be leaving their house but I should still update then, it just might be late.

Thanks so much for all the support and patience!!

Happy reading!!

-Bee <3

(24/1/21)

Co-posted on ao3