Hate & Love

"IT'S FRIDAY! FRIDAY! GOTTA GET DOWN ON FRIDAY!!!" I yelled as I ran through the door. I looked around me. Liam wasn't home. Well this is awkward. I went to the kitchen to grab a snack to hopefully calm my grumbling tummy. After looking through the same fridge three times, I gave up and texted Liam.

To LiLi<3: come home soon :/ no food.

He answered within minutes.

From LiLi<3: haha, be homeeee in 10. Go to Nandos?

To LiLi<3: yummmmmy!!!!!

I sprinted to the bathroom where I put on more eyeliner and combed through my brown wavy hair. Using bobby pins, I twisted the hair that falls in my face and pinned it back.

"BABY YOU LIGHT UP MY WORLD LIKE NOBODY ELSE!" I heard my phone start blaring the ringtone that Liam had set. My head, involuntarily shook as I grabbed the phone of the couch.

"Yellow?" I asked. Expecting Erika or Kiani.

"Ms. Kane?" The voice confused me. I couldn't place it. But it sounded cold and hard. Like steel.

"Uh, yes?"

"I have some, unfortunately bad news." A shiver ran down my spine and the room suddenly grew colder. I rubbed my arms, hoping to make the goosebumps that began rising to sink back into my skin. I didn't know this woman, but I already knew I didn't like her. And it was pretty clear, I wouldn't like whatever 'news' she had.

"Go on." I tried to control my voice, and hoped this intimidating women, whom I don't know, wouldn't hear my fear.

"You're father has overdosed." My breathing stopped quivering. Actually, it stopped all together. "I'm sorry. He's gone." Gone. He's gone. My daddy's gone. I heard the door open but didn't bother turning. As I sat down, I let the phone drop out of my hand and stared at the hard wood floor. Distantly I heard Liam's feet rustling quick on the floor.

The word kept repeating in my head. Gone. Him. His life. His future. His past. The pain he caused. My worries. My mom's worries. My brother's bruises. My sister's tears. All of it. Just gone, forever. My daddy. The hope I had for my family. Gone.

>Liam's POV<

I didn't know what was wrong but I put my hand on the small of Audrey's back and rubbed circles, hoping they were helpful.

"Hello?" I asked whoever Audrey was talking to, with the phone in my spare hand. All the while, Audrey just sat staring blankly at the floor, a few feet away from where we sat on the couch.

"Good afternoon. Who is this?"

"Uh, Liam. I'm Audrey's boyfriend." I felt Audrey start shaking underneath my hand, making me even more worried.

"Well, Liam. Audrey's father has unfortunately passed on. Her mother asked me to call her and to let her know that the funeral is on Monday." I looked at Audrey, now understanding.

"Oh, thank you. Take care." I hung up, not wanting to continue that conversation.

"You okay?" I whispered in Audrey's ear. She began to shake so violently that I was worried for her health. Wrapping my arms around her body, I pulled her body into mine. "Calm down, it'll be okay."

"He's never gonna abuse any of us again." She whispered weakly. Not like she didn't have the energy, just like she didn't want to summon the energy. I breathed a sigh of relief. At least Audrey wasn't upset.

"But now there's no hope. I always had some small hope, a little dream that one day, he'd just be...different. Better, an actual father. I guess that was just dumb though."

"It's not dumb."

"It is." She abruptly stood up. "Ummm, I think I'm gonna sleep out here tonight." She stuttered, looking between me and the couch. I stood too and grabbed her arms, afraid she was mad at me. "Why?"

"I just want some time by myself." She breathed.

"Are you mad at me?" My hands on her arms shook wildly.

"No."

"Audrey come on. .If you're mad, tell me! Please! I don't want to lose you! Please, just talk to me." I raised my voice a bit.

"Liam, I'm not mad at you. I just need space. Please understand."

"Audrey, do you hear yourself? You sound like you're breaking up with me. Come on, just talk. I lo-" She ran out of the room faster than I could blink. She left her bag and phone.

When Audrey had told me that she didn't believe in love, I thought she was joking. But the further I think into it and the more I learn about her, it makes sense. She grew up being verbally abused. She was screamed at for things she had no control over. He screamed at her and told her how worthless and pathetic she was for hours. Then he would tell her how he loved her. When she was younger, love was something for her to be afraid of. The man who claimed to love her, showed every sign of hate. So she believed love was bad. She still believes this and she's still afraid. She's afraid that someone will come along and tell her how much he loves her and then break her down. Tear her apart, in every way possible, lower her self esteem until it doesn't exist. Force her to suffer and then, again tell her he loves her and she will be forced to love him back. Because she had to love her dad. It's a rule, that as I child, you just know. He had told her he loved her, he didn't. I had almost told her I loved her, she left before she could get hurt again. I don't blame her.