Christmas Lights

I sat in the passenger seat of my car with Liam in the front. I stared at my lap until he let out a breath, and I looked up at his puppy dog eyes.

"Don't listen to them." He tried to convince me. Like it was that easy.

"What Louis said was completely true." I said with quite a bit of emotion in my voice. We sat there for a few minutes in silence. I just looked out the car window at all the lights of the New York buildings around the Hilton. After a little while, I felt the car roar to life. I looked at Liam confused.

"Where are-" He put his fingers to his lips and made a "shh" sound to quiet me. We drove for about two minutes until we reached a grocery store that was down the street. Liam pulled up to the front and looked at me. "Stay here." He said with a knowing smile and an adorable attempt at a wink. I laughed at him and all the uneasiness in me, vanished. I sat in the car and watched people pass by on the sidewalk close by. The streetlights illuminated each person that walked by. An old lady walking a dog, a couple holding hands and swinging them slightly, a guy around my age with his hands in his pockets looking down slightly suspiciously, but hey, when it's nine at night in New York, you may see anything.

Liam was gone ten minutes before he came back holding a few bags which he tossed in the backseat. I looked from the bags to him curiously.

"Seriosuly what are you doing?" He smirked at my question and started the car again.

"All that stuff that I said earlier, did you believe any of it?" He looked at me with a straight face and if I lied, he'd know. I am literally the worst liar.

"No, you met me like, what three weeks ago?" I guessed. All of what he said was a cover up for cheating on his girlfriend because he's Liam Payne and doesn't want directioners to know. They'd go mad. We started driving to God knows where and I started getting a little paranoid.

"Liam, this is New York. It's really easy to get lost. Do you have nay clue where you're going?" We were defanietly driving the opposite way of my apartment and his hotel..

He laughed, "Of course I do. Do you really think I would get us lost?" He quickly gave me a knowing look. Laughing, I turned my head towards the window, but something in my side mirror caught my eye.

"Uhh.. Liam.. Does anything about those cars strike you as odd?" I asked him. He stole a few glances behind, then looked at the road frustrated.

"Of course, tonight is the first night the paps find us.." He mutters. I looked back at the black cars that were lined up perfectly behind us. 1,2,3,4,5... Five cars full of paps?! Great..

I frowned and Liam continued, "I'm completely shocked fans have barely found us yet."

"Well Kiani's really good at that kind of stuff.. If you haven't noticed. So what do we do know?"

"We escape." He smiled. I tried my best to put on a convincing smile, but probably failed. We pulled up to a tall skyscraper with lights going all the way up.

"53.." I said. Liam stared at me confused, while looking for parking.

"When me, Kiani, and Erika first came to New York, we made up this game where we tried to guess how many floors each skyscraper has. We're all pretty good at it now." I laughed at how childish we sounded. Liam smiled back then continued his search.

In the parking garage we found plenty of spots, quickly we parked and rushed out, towards the elevator. Liam held my hand and I'm pretty sure that's the fastest I've ever ran. We made it into the metal elevator before the camera people were even out of their car. Thank god!

I still ahd no idea where we were so when the parking garages elevator doors binged and we climbed out and crossed over into the building, I followed Liam while he held on tightly to the bags he was holding. We walked for what seemed like hours through twisting white, professionaly looking hallways until we reached an elevator. Once inside, Liam started laughing.