Chapter 12 - Shej's Sin

Start from the beginning

"He was there to convince our parents how to get rid of my source," she advised. She stared into the swirls of steam as they danced on the surface of her tea. The images played in her mind like a fresh wound.

"Elowyse, will you take Cerno to Nan Edna's please?" Sayla asked the handmaid.

"Yay! Yaya, let's go play with Nan Edna's kittens!" Cerno cheered.

"Oh yeah! Susu just had babies!"

"No Cerno, Sheja needs to stay here," Sayla interjected.

"Why mom? We never go anywhere not-together," he whined.

"Tonight you will. Sheja has been sick and we've called a doctor to see her."

"You're sick, Yaya?" He paused then look back up at their mother. "Then I want to stay here with her and help her too."

"You absolutely will not," father boomed. "Elowyse, if you please. Now."

Both children and Elowyse jumped at Jhon's gruff voice. Fighting and crying to stay, Elowyse struggled but managed to pull Cerno from the room. A tall man with a husky figure held the door open for her, entering the room and closing the door once they were out.

"Thank you for coming, Dr. Tasp. Please enlighten us, how does one cure a Taboo from her curse?" Sayla asked.

He sighed. "It's unfortunately not a simple or kind process." His voice was deep and raspy. Sheja tensed up, his voice making her uneasy. "Her source has to be crushed for it to go away. To do that, her spirit itself needs to be crushed, sometimes the body too if necessary."

"What are you suggesting?" Sayla said, almost sounding mortified.

"For her seal to be broken. But it must be at a young age, when it's the most brutal on the body. As they grow older, their bodies get ready for their husbands and it becomes less likely to kill the source."

"You are suggesting someone to bed an eight year old?"

"I am not keen to the idea myself, but it's so far the only thing seen to work."

Sheja sat frozen, not understanding what the adults were talking about, but whatever it was didn't sound good.

"Will you do it?" Jhon asked sternly.

"But Jhon..."

"Be quiet, Sayla," he growled quietly, turning back to Dr. Tasp.

"Again, I'm not keen to the idea, but if no one else will, then yes, with the proper payment I will."

"Then I don't care what it costs. Do it."

Sayla looked at Sheja but stayed silent and immediately looked back at the doctor. Sheja lowered her head a bit, neither parent had ever looked upon her with a look of love. She understood she was a curse forced upon them.

"I will need one hour, at least," Dr. Tasp stated. "No interruptions."

"Whatever you need, just get rid of her curse. Come, Sayla."