Chapter 50: Tightly Packed

Rob's POV

"Ok, so we have everything, correct?" I checked Juniper's backpack carefully, not wanting to miss anything by accident.

I heard juniper nod, her tiny body shuffling over to me on her knees. She sat down next to me, her dress flurrying up before settling down with a poot.

"You forgot these." She handed me a sparkly lunch box. I laughed, standing up to take it to the kitchen.

"I don't think you need this now, so I'll put it in the kitchen." I explained. She nodded, going back to her dollhouse filled with both stuffed animals and barbies and marvel action figures.

I quickly bounced down the long staircase of Kristen's house. No one else besides me and Juniper are home, since Kristen asked me to watch Juniper for whatever reason. Not complaining though.

It's just Kristen has been missing out on so many important milestones in Juniper's life. Soon, she's not going to be home all day, and with the start of preschool it's almost like a new chapter of life.

She's never around for some stupid reason now, and Juniper is starting to feel the effects. I wish I could make it better somehow, but me and Kristen aren't on great terms anymore.

We've had a few fights since that week when she and Nick came back, and all of them have just caused us to distance slowly with every argument.

On top of that, Nick is still an absolute idiot. There's so many moments where I could literally rip his head off if I wanted to, and the fact that those moments are increasing in frequency isn't a good thing.

I made my way back up the stairs, smiling when I found juniper quietly playing with her dolls. She noticed me however, which caused her to turn only her head around to look at me.

"Wanna play with me?" She asked cutely, holding up a Spider-Man figurine, knowing that it's my favorite.

I chuckled, kneeling down besides her, taking the thing from her. She grabbed her hulk figure and one Barbie. "Help! Help can anyone save me? A giant hulk is attacking me!" She screamed, looking over at me to play along.

"Woooshh," I blew air with my mouth, pretending that Spider-Man was zooming through the sky over to the house.

"Don't worry, I'll save you!" I stated dramatically, giving the hulk a punch. Juniper made him fall over, getting back up as he threw a punch at my action figure.

I groaned, earning a hearty giggle from Juniper.

We played for a few more minutes before Juniper said that she was hungry. I've never been that great of a cook, so all I can really make her is macaroni and cheese, since it already comes in a box.

She doesn't complain though, which makes things easier for me. I don't even have to force her to eat any veggies or fruits, she just likes them and doesn't reject them.

I drained the noodles with a strainer, mixing in the cheese powder. Juniper sat at the dining table, her legs swinging as she played with her toys. The peaceful silence filling the house made everything seem like it was normal.

The doorbell rang a bit later though, breaking that quiet. Juniper offered to get it, but I told her to sit down and let me handle it. I stared through the peephole, seeing that it was nighttime and that someone was at the front door.

My face broke out in a shy smile as I opened the door. Tina stood there, staring off in the distance, eyes lighting up when they landed on my face.

"Hi." She chuckled, laughing at my surprised expression.

"Hey." I replied, inviting her inside.