Chapter 33: An "Unwelcomed" Guest

Robert's POV

"Jeez you look like a wreck." Steve said as he popped some bread into the toaster.

I tiredly looked at him with a subtle glare, "Shut up." He chuckled and handed me a plate of toast and some cream cheese.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes gently, "I couldn't leave her alone like that, I hate seeing her so broken." I said quietly while looking down.

Flashback to the night before (chapter 31).......

"I...I can't. It doesn't feel right. I'm still grieving over the fact that my husband is gone, but I'm falling for someone new... what's wrong with me?" She said quietly before she broke down, her body falling onto the floor.

I quickly and swiftly caught her before her knees hit the cold marble. I just sat there with her crying into my chest, her hands clutching onto the fabric of my shirt. Her sobs broke my heart, and that some of her pain is because of me.

"Shhhh, you're ok. I got you." I said softly and rocked her back and fourth. I let her cry out everything since it seems like she needs it.

"I got you Kristen."

Her grip on my shirt tightened as she cried harder at my words. Tears stung at the back of my eyes; her sobs are my least favorite sound in the world. I pulled her a little bit closer, if that was even possible. Her head rested in the crook of my neck while her tears stained my shirt. I rubbed her back slowly and soothingly in hopes that it would help her calm down.

It was currently 11:00 PM at night. It's been a few hours since she first came home and since I tucked Juniper in for bed. Her sobs have died down a bit. I didn't expect her to cry this much; I didn't know how much she was hurting.

The only sounds that filled the room was her light sobs and occasional sniffles. We were still on the couch and haven't moved for at least two hours.

"Hey Kris" I softly whispered, looking down at her tiny body that was snuggled up to mine.

She hummed, followed by a sniffle. She lifted her head off of my chest to look at me. I could barely make out the outlines of her face in the dark, but I could tell that she's still sad.

I shuffled a little to get more comfortable then focused my attention back onto her, "I think you should sleep, I bet you're tired." She sighed and got up and out of my embrace. I immediately felt lonely and empty without her near me. Everything was much colder now that her warm body wasn't against mine.

She took a few deep breaths and looked at me with a tiny smile that I could barely make out of the darkness. "Yeah you're right. It's late and I have things to do tomorrow." I smiled back, not knowing if she saw it or not.

I got up from the couch and helped her up as well. We stood a few feet away from each other, awkwardness filling the air.

I took a few steps forward, wanting to close off the space that was between us. She looked up at me with round eyes.

I smiled down at her and wiped away a few stray tears that kept on escaping her eyes.

"I'm gonna go. You need anything else?" I said with a gentle tone, a reassuring smile on my face.

She smiled back, shaking her head gently. Out of no where she pulls me into a tight hug, burying her face in my chest. My smile grew bigger as I relaxed into the comforting hug. I snuggled my face into her hair, inhaling her coconut scented shampoo. This was a smell that I always found comforting because it was Kristen's scent.