A Father's Instincts (5)

Start from the beginning

"You aren't his family!" He shouted.

"Yes, we ARE! He sent us the letters, which means we are the family he chose!" Ranboo shouted back.

They forgot how close they were to the cabin and how loud they were getting, and were promptly silenced when they heard a loud hiss. They all turned around to see a blond head with dark, fuzzy ears sticking out the door and glaring angrily at them.

"Shut the fuck up, you idiots. I have a kit in here, and it takes an hour to get her to sleep. If you don't lower your voices, she's going to wake up, and I'm going to stab you."

They all stood shocked, staring at Tommy. He simply rolled his eyes. "I would love to chat, but you're going to have to wait until I get Clem to sleep."

"Okay," Eret spoke softly, the only one capable of words.

Tommy was about to go inside when a ball of grey and black fur darted out from between his legs and jumped on Eret. The King laughed and hugged the fuzzy animal back, and Tommy playfully groaned.

"Nice going, guys, you woke up the baby," But he had a wide smile on his face. "I guess now that she's awake there's nothing stopping us from talking. Why don't you all come in?"

He opened the door invitingly and the group shuffled in, still wide-eyed and quiet. Then, Tubbo spoke. "Tommy, you didn't send a letter to Wilbur, but he's here anyway. Do you want him to come inside or send him back?"

Tommy's head swiveled and he met Tubbo's eyes. "Wilbur?" He whispered. Then he looked at Wil.

"You're... alive?"

"I am. And so are you!"

Suddenly, Wilbur was wrapped up in Tommy's lanky arms and he felt the boy's wet cheek rest on his shoulder.

"I missed you so much," The blond whispered.

"I missed you too, Toms," He said, blurry-eyed. He then heard a chitter and felt claws on his leg, and looked down to see Clementine stretching her body up against his leg as if asking to join the hug. Tommy let go of his tight hold of Wilbur to bend down and pick her up. They chittered softly back and forth for a moment before Tommy handed her to Wilbur.

"This is Clementine, everybody," He turned and addressed the group.

They looked on as a proud smile grew on Tommy's face. You could tell he loved being a father and loved his daughter even more.

Wilbur couldn't take his eyes off of Clementine; sure, she was a raccoon, but she was his niece. It reminded him of when he held Fundy's furry little fox body for the first time and felt tears spring to his eyes for what seemed like the thousandth time that day.

"Nice to meet you, Clementine," He murmured softly. She blinked slowly and chittered, burying her head in his armpit. He barked out a laugh and pulled her out, and she immediately dropped to the ground.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry!"

Tommy chuckled and put a hand on his shoulder to placate him. "She's just messing with you. She loves jumping around, and she's completely fine."

They stood in silence for a minute, Tommy uncomfortably fidgeting under everyone's stares. To break the silence, he offered that they head inside and he could make some hot chocolate. They all agreed and squished into the small living room.

For hours the group chatted, mostly about Tommy. He kept trying to keep the topic off of him, but everyone had so many questions. When had he run away? How was he feeling now?

Tommy heard more apologies that night than he had in his entire life.

When the conversation died down and people got sleepy, Wilbur and Tommy finally addressed the painful topic of their family.