Chapter 18

Rachel POV

I sit there in shock as I try to wrap my head around this. How is Xander, Alpha Alexander? How did I never notice those wolves before?

"Baby?" Julian says pulling me out of my internal struggle.

"Yeah?" I ask as I turn and see him looking confused.

"Are you ok?" He asks.

"Let's go home." I say as I nudge him to get out of the booth. I don't wait for them, I walk out of the Café and notice the SUV still there. I go to my car and climb in. I drive away as quick as I can, and I see Xander sitting in the passenger seat watching me closely.

I pull into Tyler's driveway and wait for my mates to find me. They quickly pull in and come over to me. "Talk to us. What's going on?" Tyler asks me.

"I never knew." I tell them.

"Of course, you didn't. He is a psycho and lied to you." Julian

"No, those wolves with him. They were always around. I just never noticed, even when Xander wasn't there, they were. I don't get why they were always there." I say as I try to understand. Something was nagging me in the back of my mind.

"Those are his warriors. We have them too, but we didn't think you'd like a protection detail, and since we are with you all the time, we can protect you." Tyler explains and I nod.

Walking into his house I sit on the couch and try to comb back through my memory for anything that added validity to this. Flashes of those men poke through innocent times spent at the mall with my friends or getting dinner. Times at the grocery store by myself, hell one of them had lived in the apartment next to us.

Julian sits next to me and pulls me into his lap as I continue my mental exploration. His hand moves up and down my back. I think back to all the calls Xander would get and how frustrated he would be when he got them or how he would have to leave suddenly.

"What are you thinking?" Tyler asks from his seat across from Julian and I. His brown eyes assessing me closely as he leans back and crosses his arms over his broad chest.

"I'm trying to understand and connect the dots. How did I not notice any of this before?" I ask him.

He sighs and closes his eyes, when they open I see sympathy in them, "Sweetheart, Alpha Alexander lies and controls his pack with an iron fist. If he didn't want you to know something then you wouldn't. This isn't too far out of character for him, except for the fact that he rejected his mate to be with you."

I felt the tears prickle my eyes as I thought of that horrible night again.

I walked into our apartment and immediately something had felt off. I put my purse down on the entry table and look around. Xander wasn't in the living room which was unusual. He almost always sat in the living room so he could greet me, unless he was making me food. He always wanted to kiss me hello and hear about my day.

I looked out the window to make sure his car was here. Sure enough his black SUV was sitting next to my small white car that he hated.

I hear something come from the bedroom. I walk towards it and notice our door is closed, which again was unusual. I open the door and stop midstep at the sight before me.

A woman with long black hair was on top of Xander moaning as he laid there. "Doesn't that feel good?" She seductively purrs at him as she moves on top of him. He grunts as he lays there.

A tear slides down my cheek as a sob clogs my throat. My heart sinks into my stomach as I stand there. I felt a wave of nausea build inside me.