Scene 7 - The Fresh Scent of Blood

The Doctor and Hope have snuck out of the TARDIS and have begun making their way towards Hope's crash site where she first arrived. They cover themselves from the plants, hiding from what they're looking at. Down the bottom of the hill that's from the left-hand side of the path is the crashed escape capsule. The Doctor and Hope hunch down behind the screeching plants, as they notice that a man is working for them – the man Hope nicknames Weasel. He is a thin, puny man, with little muscle. Weasel is small and has flat hair, with an anxious facial expression and hunched posture. His eyes squirm as he shivers in fear as he drags some part of machinery from the ship out into the open. The Doctor and Hope whisper.

Hope:

There. That's the Weasel.

Doctor:

Ah yes. I see. And why is he dragging that apparatus of your ship out?

Hope:

Because he is in alliance with... well, he's their prisoner, to put it like that. From those things – the most dominant form of life on this planet.

We see the back of the creature – some kind of giant insect. It turns around, and we are revealed to the horrid monstrosity of this form of Mosqurate – a giant mosquito. They have a special black box placed above their heads. Essentially a larger version of a normal one, the Mosquitos are able to communicate in our language. Their voices are wispy and sound like they have a lisp. These insects walk upright like a man and do so because their back legs stand them up like the legs of a rabbit.

Mosqurate 1:

WELL?

Weasel:

I... I... I... need the right equipment and facilities. I can't repair the fusion reactor in these circumstances!

Mosqurate 1:

MR. WEASEL, YOU ARE WASTING MY TIME! MY PEOPLE NEED TO LEAVE THIS PLANET AT ONCE! AND WE HAVE JUST ABOUT HAD ENOUGH OF THIS INCOMPETENT WHINING AND PROCRASTINATION!

The Mosqurates raise into the air, flapping their wings in the air. There is a number of them around in the area. They stare angrily towards him as the squeamish man shakes and panics.

Weasel:

But... but... I have done everything you have asked me to. You need me alive!

Mosqurate 2:

HOW I ENJOY THE FRESH, SWEET AROMA OF FEAR! ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS BLOOD PRESSURE INCREASES RAPIDLY! MY APPETITE GROWS!

Mosqurate 3:

WAIT... I... WE HAVE MORE FRESH MEAT BESIDE!

The Doctor and Hope look at each other.

Hope:

Don't run!

Doctor:

No. I've got a better idea.

Hope:

Doctor, no!

The Doctor jumps out and heads closer to the circle.

Doctor:

Hello! Sorry to intrude.

The Mosqurates turn their torsos to the Doctor.

I'm the Doctor – and this is Hope. It's alright. She's just been through a bit of a rough spell. Being chased, hunted, shot at, etc, etc.

Eventually, Hope comes out beside the Doctor. Many eyes watch them.

Weasel:

Hope? You're still alive?

Hope:

Shut up, Weasel.

The Mosqurates lower down onto the ground. Their wings have finished flapping.

Mosqurate 1:

WHERE HAS THIS NEW ARRIVAL ARRIVED FROM?

Doctor:

A small accident you could say. Now then, what's all this? Bit of a mess you've laid out. What have you been doing to it? You seemed to have ripped it all up and now it looks like you're trying to beat it up and scrap it. Call yourself an engineer.

Hope:

Doctor, you're a scientist and an engineer too, remember? And you've kind of done the same yourself to your own ship.

Doctor:

Ah. Yes. Well. But I know what I'm doing.

Hope:

Do you though?

Mosqurate 2:

THIS IS ENOUGH! I'M HUNGRY! WE HAVE OUR STOCK! NOW LET'S FINISH IT OFF!

The first Mosqurate stops him by blocking him.

Mosqurate 1:

WE NEED TO STOP A MINUTE! HOW THIS NEW ARRIVAL HAS ENTERED COULD BE INVALUABLE TO US! IF HE GOT HERE, HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET US OUT!

Mosqurate 3:

THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT! I CAN SENSE IT! HIS BLOOD IS... IS NOTHING WE HAVE EVEN RELISHED!

Doctor:

Your fellow just made a good point earlier.

The Mosqurates seem to be gathering. The cluster buzz of their wings increases, the antennas and proboscises point straight at them.

Mosqurates 2:

IT SEEMS WE ARE IN AGREEMENT!

The Doctor covers Hope...