Chapter 30 (2) - "What It Means To Live"

Start from the beginning

"Naru, you finished?" I asked, craning my neck.

Timidly, he nodded. "Somewhat."

I wonder who Naru would give his to.

Well, picturing his family was unfathomable in general. I could imagine maybe a younger brother. . . Though, if he was as adorable as Naru, I wouldn't know what I'd do. I might have to kidnap him and exchange him with Mao.

Burying my straying thoughts with a firm head shake, I swerved his way once more. "Then, let's—"

My words caught in my throat.

Heart fluttering, I couldn't draw a breath.

What was outstretched to me was unmissable.

Naru, flushed as could be, couldn't offer any explanation—not whilst tongue-tied due to his smouldering embarrassment.

Dumbly, I gaped for a while.

"F-for. . . me?"

The redness of his face erupted from both ears, kin to a thermometer blowing its top after reaching its threshold. Steaming, he bobbed his head.

Hold on. Wait a minute. Why?

Before I realized it, his chocolate was in my hand. Clumsily written in icing was but one sentence.

Thank you for being my friend.

. . .Cute.

This was so cute. I was going to melt.

Struggling to contain my awe, I shielded my mouth with the backside of my hand. So unfair. . . ! Did he want to kill me?

"Don't get the wrong idea, d-dummy," he finally sputtered. "I just thought a thank you was in order after today. I-It's nothing serious. I've given away countless chocolates filled with my feelings. You're one of the man-ny. That's all it is."

Even the way he tried to defend himself was so, so endearing. Agh, I can't. I'm going to die.

Would it be odd if I asked him to be my wife right here and now?

"Naru, you're so cute," I gushed.

"No, I am not! I'm very. . . manly."

"Even you saying that makes me wanna aww." Giddily, I reached into my container and extended chocolate of my own. "Here. This is for you."

"M-me?"

I nodded. "I planned to make you from the beginning. Please, accept it."

"This is. . . Chocolate from a girl. . ."

The realization set fire to his entire complexion.

"D-don't get all embarrassed, Naru! I'll start feeling awkward."

Through much deliberation, he received my obligatory chocolate. I snuck a peek at his other chocolates only for confusion to bubble within me.

"You didn't decorate your other ones?"

I rounded to get a better peek. They genuinely were untouched.