01. Plan of Attack

•

YOU WOULD THINK THAT Magnolia was walking around naked with how many people were staring at her as she walked down the school hallways. Of course, rumours had spread about how the Cullens returned and Bella and her involvement. Their trip to Italy didn't go unnoticed and Magnolia found herself, hood up and head down, avoiding the eyes of all the staring students.

She sighed as she reached her locker, where Elton was waiting for her. He didn't mind the stares, he had gotten used to them a long time ago. "Morning," She mumbled as she fumbled with her lock.

"Sleep well?" He asked casually. He could see how terrible she looked — purple bags under her eyes, skin pale and sickly looking. She looked up at him and glared. Elton nodded. "I was just asking, Maggie. Your dad is really working you to the bone, huh?"

"You have no idea," Magnolia groaned as she pulled a math textbook from her locker. "I feel like a prisoner." She stuffed the book angrily into her backpack.

Elton frowned. "But it's just until graduation, right?" He jumped as she loudly slammed the locker shut. She paused, shoulders heaving.

"Sorry," She apologized softly. "Yes. I'm free after graduation. But that doesn't make this any better," She rubbed a tired hand down her face. "He's giving me a break for the weekend, so I will be sleeping like a bear the entire time."

Wrapping his arm around her shoulder, Elton pulled her into his side and began walking. "You earned that," He smiled down at her. "All this work will be worth it in the end."

Magnolia shook her head. She knew he was right, but it didn't make her feel any better. And the hardest part about it all was that she couldn't tell Elton the entire truth. Sure, she could talk to Bella, but after Volterra, something was off with them. "What class do you have?" She asked quietly, glancing around the hall.

Elton groaned. "Gym. The bane of my existence." Their walking slowed as the hallway crammed full of students. Shoulder to shoulder, students shoved their way through.

"Have fun," She snickered. "I got Chem. See you at lunch?" Elton nodded. They hugged just as the bell rang and headed their separate ways.

Some good changes came in the new semester. Elton sat comfortably with Magnolia at the lunch table with Eric, Mike, Angela, and Jessica. "Stop! That's dumb, Mike," Jessica whined as Mike continued to throw idea after idea for the girls' valedictorian speech.

Mike shook his head. "Come on! That was great!"

Magnolia snorted as she took a bite of pasta. She shot Elton a wide grin, which he easily returned. She was glad he was enjoying himself with new friends. "Hey! Just in time!" Eric smiled wide as Edward and Bella walked up to the table. Bella smiled as she sat next to Magnolia, squeezing her arm gently.