06. Just Talk

•

  FOR REASONS UNKNOWN, MAGNOLIA returned to the Cullen house that night. Well, she told herself as she knocked on their door that she didn't know why, but really, she couldn't stop thinking about what Jasper said to her. "I haven't lost you, not really," She got chills every time she thought about it.

She left Elton at Seth and Leah Clearwater's house for the night. She had been meaning to spend some time with them after Harry died, but hadn't got the chance. Ever since Leah became a wolf, there was this understanding between Magnolia and her, stronger than years of knowing each other had made.

Alice opened the door with a nervous smile. "Magnolia! Hi," She stepped aside, allowing the sorceress inside. "I thought you were spending the night at the reservation?"

"I am," Magnolia nodded. "I just wanted to come by," She looked Alice up and down, frowning. "Alice, don't feel bad for earlier."

"How can I not!" The vampire exclaimed dramatically. "It was so selfish of us to do that to you, Maggie. And I am incredibly sorry for putting you in that situation." She hugged Magnolia tightly.

She was tempted to say something about the lack of air reaching her lungs as Alice squeezed harder, but she decided not to. Alice felt bad and she was expressing that through the hug, so she allowed it. "I understand why you did it," Magnolia took a deep breath in when Alice let go of her. "But I don't like it. If you wanted us to talk, you could've just asked me."

"That's what I told her," Jasper's voice startled Magnolia slightly. She turned to see him leaning against a wall, looking slightly better than the last time she saw him. He was still pale — that never changed — but he wasn't as sickly as he had looked. There was more colour. His eyes are what really caught her attention, however. They were back to that honey yellow she adored.

"You ate," She smiled softly.

Jasper nodded. "I did," They went quiet. Magnolia suddenly felt nervous. Why did she come? This was a mistake, she cringed. "Would you like to...talk?" Jasper suggested.

Magnolia, glad he spoke first, nodded. "Yeah, I-I would."

He smiled sadly and turned. "We'll have privacy on the roof," Magnolia followed him silently until the reached the top of the house. "Be careful," He warned softly as she peeked over the edge. "We wouldn't want you falling."

Magnolia laughed quietly. They sat, feet hanging over the edge, swinging in the wind. A few minuets went by, both equally unsure of how to start the conversation. After a moment, Magnolia sighed deeply. "I guess I'll start," She looked up at the stars peeking through the canopy of trees. She didn't have the strength to look him in the eye just yet. "I think- no, I know, I still love you," Jasper's eyes widened and he froze. He knew she did, he could feel it every time he saw her, but hearing it was a whole other thing.