08. Familiar Faces

•

AS THE PARTY WINDED down, Alice had gathered everyone, including Jacob, Quil, and Embry, in the living-room. Magnolia stood in between Rosalie and Emmett, arms crossed and focused. "They'll be here in four days," Alice explained.

Carlisle pinched the bridge of his nose. "This could turn into a blood bath," He shook his head.

"Who's behind it?" Edward questioned.

"I didn't see anyone I recognized," Alice shook her head. She paused, thinking. "Maybe one."

Edward's eyes narrowed as he read her mind. "I know his face. He's local. Riley Biers. He didn't start this." He shook his head.

"Whoever did is staying out of the action," Alice huffed.

"They must be playing with the blind spots in your vision," Carlisle concluded.

"You can do that?" Magnolia looked at Alice.

She nodded. "If they play their cards right, they can stay hidden from my foresight." Magnolia knitted her eyebrows in confusion.

"Either way," Jasper piped up. "The army is coming and there aren't enough of us to protect the town." His eyes briefly connected with Magnolia's. He knew what she would suggest.

"We'll help," It was as expected. The young sorceress stepped forward. "It's what we're bred to do." Jasper clenched his jaw, resisting to urge to object.

"Wait, wait, hold up!" Jacob held up his hands, looking around the vampires frantically. "What damn army?"

"Newborns. Our kind," Carlisle explained.

"What are they after?" Quil piped up.

Alice paused momentarily. "They were...passing around Bella's scent," Magnolia felt herself tense up. If worrying about her best friend being killed wasn't enough, now she had to deal with the newborn army attacking Bella? "A red blouse."

"They're after Bella?" Jacob panicked. "What the hell does this mean?"

"It means an ugly fight. With lives lost," Carlisle spoke gravely.

Jacob clenched his jaw and paused, looking over at Quil and Embry, supposedly using their pack connection to discuss. He turned back to the group. "Alright, we're in."

"No," Bella finally spoke. "You'd get yourselves killed. No way."

Jacob tilted his head, unamused. "I wasn't asking for permission."