09. Training

•

  MAGNOLIA HAD NEVER HEARD a scream so loud. She had to cover her ears as her grandmother yelled out like she had been shot. The older woman had dropped to the floor and Timothy swooped in to catch her. She sobbed into his shoulder and all Magnolia could do was stand and watch in shock. "Magnolia, honey," She hadn't even noticed her mother approach her. "Go to bed, dear. We can discuss this in the morning."

She nodded silently and numbly left the room, walking across the hall to her bedroom. She shut the door and slid her back down it, cradling her knees in her arms. She didn't know what to think or feel about what just happened. It had been years since she last saw her grandmother, she didn't even know the Cullen's at the time. It was a big slap in the face to learn what most sorcerers thought of vampires.

Magnolia gulped and shook up, her legs shaking. She didn't bother changing out of her party dress as she slipped into bed. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she was out cold.

In the morning, the house was dead silent. No sounds of her mother cooking or her dad watching the news. When she walked down the stairs, no one was down there. Magnolia sighed, trying to brush off her nervousness. She made a bowl of cereal and put on the TV. She wasn't even paying attention to what was on — her eyes were unfocused as she ate her breakfast.

For an hour, no one else came downstairs. Magnolia was left alone to her thoughts. There was so much going on inside her head she could barely think straight. She called Elton a few times, the pit in her stomach twisting every time she was sent to voicemail. Eventually, she stopped and grabbed a book. Reading was an easy escape, but she couldn't even focus on the exciting fantasy within the pages.

When she heard footsteps, her head snapped up. Her mother was groggily walking down the stairs, a large frown etched on her face. "Good morning, dear," She yawned and headed for the kitchen.

Magnolia got up and followed her. "Morning," She was a buzzing bundle of nerves.

Ariana didn't say anything until she took a sip of her hot coffee. "I'm so sorry about last night," She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "You're father and I screwed up."

Magnolia shook her head. "Mom, no-"

"Don't, sweetheart," Ariana put her hand up, stopping her daughter. "We did. Your grandmother is refusing to leave her room. She's really rattled," She sighed deeper and took a long sip of coffee. "It'll just be me and you going today. Your father will stay home with Grammy."

Magnolia nodded, understanding. "I really am sorry, mom. I didn't know how Grammy felt about vampires."

"Many people do not view them as we do," Ariana scoffed. "A lot of them still believe they're all soulless monsters."